Pico poised to do for beer what Keurig did for coffee

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Brewing your own beer at home is a hobby that many are no doubt interested in yet once you realize how much time, work and free space is needed to do so, you’ll probably look for another hobby. Fortunately, microbreweries are growing in popularity across the country, allowing lovers of variety to sample all sorts of local brews without the hassle of having to do all the work.

Like any hobby, there will always be people that are passionate enough about something to see it as art. For the impatient among us, well, we just want to try all sorts of different beer.

Now, there’s a device that’ll do just that. It’s called the Pico and it’s poised to do for beer what the Keurig did for coffee.

A successor to its Zymatic, the Pico from PicoBrew is a fully automatic craft brewing appliance. Owners start by buying a PicoPak, a pre-packaged mix of ingredients that’ll produce five liters (around 14 bottles) worth of beer. After roughly two hours, all of the goods are deposited into a mini keg. All that’s left is to add yeast to start the fermentation process.

A week later, your batch of craft beer is ready to be carbonated and transferred to a drinking keg for consumption.

PicoBrew has already partnered with more than 50 microbreweries to create PicoPaks. While you won’t be able to brew your own recipes in the Pico just yet, the partnerships mean you’ll have the opportunity to sample a variety of brews that you otherwise wouldn’t get without visiting many different regions.

PicoBrew is currently seeking funding on Kickstarter for Pico. The company has already met its funding goal of $200,000 with more than a month remaining in the campaign. A minimum pledge of $499 guarantees you’ll be one of the first to own a Pico (it comes with your choice of three PicoPaks) come next March.

Thumbnail courtesy Engadget

Permalink to story.

Now imagine your coffee machine worked like this: you deposit all your ingredients, and then have to wait for 1 week before your coffee is ready... that's your show-stopper right there.

You can't seriously compare a product that can be ready in 1 min to one that takes 1 week of waiting.

And if the difference turns out as big as between a coffee from a sachet and from a good coffee shop, which I think it will be, if not worse, then who's gonna want a horrible beer after a week of waiting?

Treating yourself to a pint of tasteless beer after a hard week of work - that takes little respect for yourself, if any at all.

Last edited:
Now imagine your coffee machine worked like this: you deposit all your ingredients, and then have to wait for 1 week before your coffee is ready... that's your show-stopper right there.

You can't seriously compare a product that can be ready in 1 min to one that takes 1 week of waiting.

And if the difference turns out as big as between a coffee from a sachet and from a good coffee shop, which I think it will be, if not worse, then who's gonna want a horrible beer after a week of waiting?

Treating yourself to a pint of tasteless beer after a hard week of work - that takes little respect for yourself, if any at all.
If you're struggling wait a week for your product, surely there are a few bottle stores/pubs/strip joints in your area to help keep the DT's in check while you impatiently wait.

The video doesn't want to play nicely with my Chrome browser. Not a big thing by any stretch of the imagination, I get can get the gist of the story from the article.

If you're struggling wait a week for your product, surely there are a few bottle stores/pubs/strip joints in your area to help keep the DT's in check while you impatiently wait.
In this case it would be a reality check, which is what these inventors of a flux capacitor should have done in the first place. That's like trying to invent a portable cow for people who buy milk frequently. Myau. :)

In this case it would be a reality check, which is what these inventors of a flux capacitor should have done in the first place. That's like trying to invent a portable cow for people who buy milk frequently. Myau. :)
Then don't buy it. I, however, am very interested in this. Brewing your own beer is a pain in the *** although very rewarding.

Also, it isn't their fault that yeast takes a week to ferment the beer. You cant fight basic chemistry. TBH, a week to ferment is pretty good.

You cant fight basic chemistry.

That's what people told to those who created a pizza printer for use in space.

That's what pioneers of 3D printing kept hearing from everybody.

Maybe someday a compound or technology will be created to dramatically speed up the fermentation process, so I wouldn't be so sure ;) The fast food industry keeps making interesting inventions like that.

That's what people told to those who created a pizza printer for use in space.

That's what pioneers of 3D printing kept hearing from everybody.

Maybe someday a compound or technology will be created to dramatically speed up the fermentation process, so I wouldn't be so sure ;) The fast food industry keeps making interesting inventions like that.
Yeah, pink slim was pretty interesting. I wouldn't call the printed pizza "fighting basic chemestry". I'd say it's more like using basic chemistry to its advantage.

Although you're more than welcome to try to geneticly engineer yeast that produces alcohol faster.

I love brewing my own beer, and waiting a week is almost nothing. If this were cheaper, I'd go for it. As it is, you can buy a whole starter kit for brewing for like £50.

Then don't buy it. I, however, am very interested in this. Brewing your own beer is a pain in the *** although very rewarding.

Also, it isn't their fault that yeast takes a week to ferment the beer. You cant fight basic chemistry. TBH, a week to ferment is pretty good.
It sounds too quick to me. I'd let it ferment longer otherwise I'd be afraid I'd come up with moonshine.

Back