Pixel 2 XL users report new crackling audio issue

midian182

Staff member

While it remains a popular phone, the Pixel 2 XL has had its fair share of technical problems. Several users have reported muted colors, display burn-in, and faint clicking sounds coming from the earpiece. Now, another audio issue has been discovered: rattling speakers.

A number of owners have taken to the Pixel User Community forums to report speaker distortion and rattling/buzzing sounds. It's said to start when the volume level reaches around 70 – 75 percent.

Most users have reported the problem arising from the handset’s bottom speaker, but a small number claim the earpiece speaker is suffering from the same issue. And while most people say their Pixel 2 XL is affected, a few have reported the same audio distortion in the Pixel 2.

Check out the video below, recorded by Android Police’s Artem Russakovskii, to hear the problem. If you turn it up and listen closely, you can make out the same type of rattling sounds that appear in cheap speakers when boosted to their maximum volume; not something you would expect to find in Google’s high-end smartphone.

Back in November, Google released the first software update designed to fix the Pixel 2 XL’s color, burn-in, and audio issues, along with a security patch for the KRACK (Key Reinstallation Attacks) vulnerability.

Google has yet to release an official statement regarding this new problem. Affected owners are being advised to try booting into Safe Mode or performing a factory reset to see if that fixes the audio, but it doesn’t seem to be helping. It appears that an RMA, while inconvenient, is the only option right now.

Permalink to story.

I'm really starting to think all these articles in the Tech press about Pixel2 are BS. People with an axe to grind against google or something? Gotta tell ya .... my 2XL doesn't have any of the problems you read about. No terrible diminished color at angles (there is that blu cast thing but it's something that shows on my wifes Samsung phone also, normal stuff) This audio problem? Nah. Burn in..... nah. It's just fast, everything works, unbelievable camera. Really wonder at the extent of these "problems". Think people running tech reporting sites and those writing for them are just looking for headlines IMHO

I'm really starting to think all these articles in the Tech press about Pixel2 are BS. People with an axe to grind against google or something? Gotta tell ya .... my 2XL doesn't have any of the problems you read about. No terrible diminished color at angles (there is that blu cast thing but it's something that shows on my wifes Samsung phone also, normal stuff) This audio problem? Nah. Burn in..... nah. It's just fast, everything works, unbelievable camera. Really wonder at the extent of these "problems". Think people running tech reporting sites and those writing for them are just looking for headlines IMHO
Just because your phone does not have problems does not mean other's do not.

Just because your phone does not have problems does not mean other's do not.
Gee..... quite the retort. Well, shut my mouth.

I think you'll find it's mainly the price point as to why it gets so much attention, phones at the same price point (Samsungs and iPhone's for example) aren't having these issues, whenever an iPhone has an issue (antenna-Gate, Bend-Gate) or Samsung (Exploding Batteries) its reported on just as much.

Orrrr, it could be that your device is fine, but many pixel 2 devices are having serious issues because google has a long history of these kinds of problems.

I mean, I have food, so obviously starvation doesnt exist. I have power in the continental US, so obviously all those media outlets are lying about puerto rico. I have a decent job, so all those people complaining about the job market are just wrong. My iphone works fine, so there clearly is no problem with the iphone batteries, ece, ece, ece.

Just because you have no problems doesnt mean no problems exist, or that google should not be held accountable for their inability to do quality control.

Of course, you could absolutely be right, and all these tech sites and users are just trying to find a reason to bash google because.....reasons...and.......stuff.....yeah that totally sounds more likely /s.

Last edited:
"My phone doesn't have these issues so that means other phones can't possibly have those issues as well."

Back