PlayStation 3: 24 things you need to know

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
The PS3 is super quiet

At a rating of just 22 decibels, it’s only slightly louder than a human whisper. All we know is that we could barely hear it running. That’s definitely worth something.

You may have heard rumors on the Internets that the PS3 was practically setting people on fire at last month’s Tokyo Game Show. Whether or not that’s true, we witnessed dozens of units performing flawlessly for several hours at a press event recently. While the air conditioning struggled against a small army of PS3s, enormous HDTVs, and excitable game reporters, the PS3s themselves hummed along quietly and solidly.

Of course, there’s always the possibility that one of them burst into flames just as we were leaving. But we’re pretty confident in the system’s ability to stay cool under pressure.

You can plug in a USB keyboard and surf the ‘Net

The PS3 will come packaged with a free Internet browser. The “front end” has been highly customized, to the point where it’s impossible to tell if it’s using Mozilla, Opera, or Internet Explorer (but since the console runs on Linux, it’s probably not IE). You can place multiple Web pages within view and stream media from several Internet locations simultaneously. However, it’s unclear right now if any USB keyboard will work, or if you have to get a Sony-approved model. They have not announced a USB keyboard of their own.

The power supply is integrated directly into the system

Phil Harrison told us that Sony made this choice for performance reasons, to keep the power supply as close to the CPU chipset as possible. And though the Xbox 360’s external “power brick” is hardly a massive disadvantage, having the power supply integrated in the main chassis is sleeker, slicker, and all around preferable. We like, we like.

http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/10/23/24things/index.php

Is oblivion / Gears of War coming out for the PS3? If so I'll wait till the prices drop down ( $600 is too much for me! I would rather have a 8800!! :D )

But for now i'll just pwn with the Gears of War for Xbox 360 :D

TimeParadoX why do you want Oblivion for the PS3? It lags on 360 (and PS3 as well I'm sure) just as much as it does on the computer, but at a lower res :( At least when I played it on my friends 360, it lagged just as much as my computer, except it was at 480p and my computer plays at 1280x1024

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back