PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions of Black Ops III won't have a campaign mode

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Call of Duty: Black Ops III is roughly a month and a half away. We’ve known for some time now that it’s being developed for multiple platforms with the caveat that visuals wouldn’t look nearly as nice on the dated PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 as they will on Sony and Microsoft’s latest consoles (and on the PC).

What we didn’t expect, however, was a major loss of content for older systems.

In a new blog post, Activision points out that Black Ops III was designed from day one to harness the full potential of the PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC. Developers Beenox and Mercenary Technology have been working tirelessly to bring as much of the gameplay as possible to the PS3 and 360 but at the end of the day, the old consoles just don’t have the horsepower to run the full game.

As a result, Black Ops III for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 will only include multiplayer and zombie modes, not the co-op and single-player campaign modes. Some features, like the weapon paint shop and the new suite of eSports tools, won’t make the cut either.

The silver lining here is that Black Ops III for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 will carry a MSRP of $49.99 which represents a $10 price cut compared to all other versions. In fairness, many Call of Duty players never touch the campaign mode, opting instead to spend their time playing online.

What’s your opinion on the matter? Should Activision never have bothered with last-gen consoles? Is $10 enough of a discount to compensate for the missing game mode? Let us know what you think in the comments section below.

Permalink to story.

No campaign isn't a terribly big deal, but for $49.99 it's still a tad expensive, the full copy on PS4 Xbox One and PC won't be $59.99 either, more likely $69.99 seeing as that's the new standard take it in the but game price these days... Never intended on buying anything CoD for a long time, this just solidifies my decision.

The campaign was completed in an hour on the hardest difficulty after MW thats why it was the last COD I played. No proper SP campaign = no interest in the game from me. They could give it away for free now and I wouldn't waste my data downloading it.

"The silver lining here is that Black Ops III for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 will carry a MSRP of $49.99 which represents a $10 price cut compared to all other versions."

This means the campaign is only worth $10?

If you're not going to do it right, don't do it at all. That applies to the game itself as much as the campaign. Shoulda just skipped last gen at that point.

CoD was never about the campaign, but that's straight up skimpy.

I wouldn't say that, the origins of Call of Duty the Campaign was really good. Call of Duty 2 in particular had a brilliant campaign. It's only after the first Modern Warefare has the series become mostly about Multi-Player.

I wouldn't say that, the origins of Call of Duty the Campaign was really good. Call of Duty 2 in particular had a brilliant campaign. It's only after the first Modern Warefare has the series become mostly about Multi-Player.

Yeah obviously I wasn't counting the WW2 era CoDs.

I believe that most of even the current CoD campaigns are quite impressive, contrary to popular belief. I don't think it's fair to compare the campaign to multiplayer in the specific environment of CoD.

They do try very hard at making the campaigns very immersive - A couple of examples being the MW1, 2, and 3 campaigns blending together, just as the BO1 and 2 campaigns did.

Multiplayer on the other hand is a completely different beast. You aren't interested in the characters, storyline, or chronological development there. You're out to blow some b*****s up. Unfair comparison.

On the note of pricing... it is very tacky of them to only drop $10 off of the full retail price for dropping the campaign. I understand the probable technical limitations, however a $20 or so reduction would make Activision look a bit better for such an exclusion...

$49.99 is very expensive with the full fledged PC version you will find it for anything between $19.99 - $29.99 (or in the UK just change $ for £ because there is no currency conversation in the gaming world)

Back