Please help this is really bad other tech forums won't answer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay i used to get this message every so often on my desktop (i am currently using laptop) but when i restarted it went away. Now when i turn on the computer it goes straight to the thingy screen where you select safe mode etc, i tried clicking on start windows normally and i got the message below, and the same when i tried in safe mode. I cant get past it so there is no way i can do that the message says:

-----------------------------------------------
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Disable or un-install any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or back up utilities. Check your hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x86FCB3B8, 0xc0000102, 0x00000000)

-----------------------------------------------

it comes up on a blue screen and the writing is white. the second bit of code in the brackets (the one that starts with 0x86) is always slightly changing each time i restart.

Pleeeease can you help im desperate to get my computer working as it has many important files on there.

Thanks in advance

Bobsleighman

This stop error means that your ntfs file system is corrupt
(damage in the file system, bad hard drive data, corrupt SCSI or IDE drivers or a corrupt ntfs.sys file).

Read Note1 and Note2 below, first
  • Boot from your Windows CD
  • Once all the loading drivers has passed, press R to go to the Recovery console
  • Press 1 for Administrator
  • Press Enter to continue
  • Type: chkdsk /r
  • And then press enter
  • Once Check Disk has finished, type EXIT and press enter
If chkdsk get's hung up for more than an hour, as in the percent complete doesn't change for a long time, there is most likely something physically wrong with your hard drive it will have to be replaced. Once chkdsk completes restart the computer by typing "exit" and see if windows will boot now.

More info here (disregard Win2000 heading): http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=228888&sd=RMVP

Note1:

Some computers are given a Recovery CD instead of a Windows CD
In this case, use the Recovery CD. But do not perform a recovery when requested
If there is no other available command like "go to a Dos prompt"
Then just press Cancel. Doing so may enable CheckDisk to start

Note2:

There is a chance that you can lose all your data!!
This can be due to a faulty Hard Drive (which can also give the above error)
In this case, you may wish to have the Hard Drive removed first, and then Backed up from another computer. (some hardware experience required)

Reply back for more help and advice.
Or just proceed with the above steps

Edit:

...other tech forums won't answer!
I am unsure why GeeksToGo have not answered your same thread, here:
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/problem-has-been-detected-t193727.html
Maybe once this is resolved, you can reply there, with, "Solved by TechSpot"
Now that would be funny. :)

Not sure if this helps but my computer is a Dell Dimension 5000.

I got it about two and a half years ago and i can't find a recovery disk or a windows disk!!!!

It couldn't be a virus that could have done this... could it?

I wanna tell my dad but he will assume it was a virus and have a massive go at me!

Thanks so much for your help so far though!

I don't think you've got a virus there more like a HDD failure, corruption etc like suggested above. Of course if you can't find your recovery disk i think you are better off giving the machine into maintenance and let them fix it.

I think you should be able to use it(of coures if your computer boots from it) as long as you don't install windows from it, of course i've never had a Dell so i don't know about it's specific stuff...

I think you should be able to use it
Yes you can, actually just about any disk that gets you to a command prompt

The Ultimate Boot CD would be ideal

Edit:

Except the line wouldn't be chkdsk /r, it would be chkdsk *: /r (or chkdsk *: /f)
note * denotes all drives and works, just by typing the symbol star *

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back