Please Wait message on XP start up

Status
Not open for further replies.

emcee47

Hi everyone ... it's dummy time again. Am new to the forum and I'm sure this has come up before, but I would be interested in whether it's necessary to endure the above message during start up of XP or whether it can be cured/over-ridden? My particular screen when this happens is probably the same as everyone else's inasmuch that it's a blue screen with the XP logo, then 'Please Wait' appears followed by increasing lines of white dots until it finally kicks in to opening. Mine (at the moment) only goes to one and a half lines before stopping but it still adds a couple of unnecessary minutes to the boot-up. Can anyone shed some light please?

Thanks for the suggestion ...

... but, unfortunately, it didn't stop the 'Please Wait' message on this occasion. The only thing that HAS happened is that, when the machine tries to restart after the CHKDSK is complete, as it shuts down and then starts to reboot, I get a constant beeping from the machine and no script appears. Nothing stops the beeping until I turn off at the wall switch, leave it for three or four minutes and then restart from cold. This only happens when the machine is called upon to restart. Am wondering if the fact that, after running CHKDSK, the machine does need to restart (rather than turning off completely and then on again) in order for any changes to take effect? But I still have the beeping on restart whichever programme I try to do it from. (layman's thoughts!)

Well, something is obviously triggering the 'dirty bit' to force Chkdsk all the time and thus you must fix that.

Me, I would slave the drive and copy off anything I value then re-install.

Unlike many here, I find 4 hours of re-install preferable to 4 days of playing about.

I think the most obvious thing to check first is what you have on Startup:

Start> Run> type in 'msconfig' without quotes> enter> Selective Startup> Startup tab> UNCHECK everything "except" the antivirus program, firewall, touchpad if laptop> Leave nothing else on Start> Apply> OK

Reboot> Close the nag message after checking 'don't show this message again.' (you must stay in Selective Startup)

Let us know how this does.

Thanx for that Bobbye : yes and no!
Did as you suggested but still get the 'Please Wait' screen although (at least the first time) only for a few seconds. However, am still getting the beeping on restart - but not on a cold start.

Why not try a pre-emptive strike.

Click start, run and enter chkdsk C:/r (assuming C: is your boot drive)

You'll get the message saying can't now because the drive's in use do you want to run at next boot and say Y.

If it's 1 long beep == POST has passed all tests, means that everything is alright.

I agree with running the Error Check, but would suggest you go ahead an run now:
My Computer> Local Drive- usually C> Properties> Tools> Error Check> check both boxes on that screen> OK> Close the nag message and Reboot.

The Error Checking will begin in 9 seconds. Let it complete. It will reboot when finished. See if that helps.

Be ready for a long scan if you do that ;) Here's the info I usually post.

Manual steps to run Chkdsk from My Computer or Windows Explorer
  • Open My Computer, and then right-click the hard disk that you want to check.
  • Click Properties, and then click Tools.
  • Under Error-checking, click Check Now. A dialog box that shows the Check disk options is displayed
Use one of the following procedures:
  • • To run Chkdsk in read-only mode, click Start.
  • • To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, select the Automatically fix file system errors check box, and then click Start. (tick)
  • • To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box.

Note If one or more of the files on the hard disk are open, you will receive the following message:
The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedule the disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?
Click Yes to schedule the disk check, and then restart your computer to start the disk check.

Wait until Chkdsk finishes Checking / Repairing any faults
Windows will then either restart your computer or continue loading Normally.

Have already run Chkdsk on a couple of occasions with no noticeable difference - the only notable thing being the constant beeping as I mentioned above when the machine tries to restart. Still, I may have missed a couple of the tick-boxes, so will try again following this last post and let you all know. Thanx for the interest and help everyone ...

Hi all ... Well, ran the chkdsk again as I did in the earlier threads ... and with the same result: after it gave everything the all-clear, it tried to restart and back came the beeps ... eight short ones. When it did restart tho', the 'Please Wait' was still there. Thanks to the suggestion, however, I went to your 'beep' i/d programme and got this about my particular beeps:-
8 short Display memory read/write error- The system video adapter is missing or defective.
... which takes me back to Square One - the 'dummy' bit! Apologies, but I still need a bit of guidance if anyone can take the time

Does your mobo have onboard video or carded video (or both)?

Is it shared memory if onboard?

If you have a vid card-

Have you experimented by removing the vid card and booting without it (to check beep codes).

Can you try another vid card?

edit: this is why people here ask for specs in your profile :)

This is where you find out just how much of a dummy I am CCT - if you hadn't worked it out already. I don't think I'd recognise a video card unless it sprang out on me with a placard! And I take your point about the 'specs' but I'm sure you'll also have realised that if I knew any more than I'd put in already I'd have put that in too!
However, we are where we are, as they say, so, if you could tell me what it looks like and roughly where to locate it, I'll give it a go. The good news is that, a bit like car maintenance, I do remember lessons I've learned through bitter experience.
Given that I'd already been advised in the past to take out the memory stick and clean it with a pencil eraser, it is, of course, entirely possible that I've nudged something I shouldn't when I did it!
Thanx again in advance.

Let's try to work it out this way -

Download and run Everest Home (it is free):

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Once you download it, click on it and let it install and then run it from the icon on your desktop.

Click on the + sign beside 'Computer', then on 'Summary', then go to the VERY Top of the screen and click on 'report'.

Note: the 'Very Top' isn't one line down, it means what it says.

Cursor over 'quick report-summary' and then click on 'plain text' and then click on 'save to file' and change the 'save in' folder to 'Desktop' and then click 'Save'.

Clear all your open windows and on the Desktop click on that 'report.txt' icon - this will open it in a text editor (probably Notepad) and then use your mouse to highlight ALL the 'debug' entries and delete them, then use your mouse to hilight all the remaining text then copy and paste it to here.

For future reference: once you open Everest, click on file, preferences, report and uncheck the 'include debug information in the report' box. People rarely want to see that stuff.

Have completed that CCT - but, unless I've misunderstood you, the number of characters in the report (232,525) needs to be abbreviated down to 10,000 ... ?

'but, unless I've misunderstood' - you did.

Did you make a 'quick report-summary' AND delete ALL the debug stuff ?

Sorry ! This looks a bit better ... I hope!

--------[ EVEREST Home Edition (c) 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc. ]------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v2.20.405
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Quick Report
Computer HOME (OFFICE)
Generator Mark
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
Date 2008-08-11
Time 22:09

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name HOME (OFFICE)
User Name Mark

Motherboard:
CPU Type AMD Athlon XP, 1666 MHz (12.5 x 133) 2000+
Motherboard Name Gigabyte GA-7VKMP(-P) (3 PCI, 1 AGP, 2 DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN)
Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8375 ProSavageDDR KM266
System Memory 512 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type AMI (04/02/03)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 (64 MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400
Monitor Samsung SyncMaster 152Sm/152V [15" LCD] (HSGX815823)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller

Storage:
IDE Controller VIA Bus Master IDE Controller
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Floppy Drive MATSHITA LS-120 VER5 00
Disk Drive Hitachi HDP725025GLAT80 (232 GB, IDE)
Optical Drive HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H10N
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 238472 MB (214093 MB free)

Input:
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse Microsoft PS/2 Mouse

Network:
Network Adapter Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC (192.168.1.2)
Network Adapter TE100-PCBUSR 32-Bit Cardbus PC Card
Modem Lucent Win Modem

Peripherals:
Printer Canon SELPHY CP400 (Copy 2)
Printer Family Tree Maker Printer
Printer hp officejet 4100 series fax
Printer hp officejet 4100 series
Printer Microsoft Office Document Image Writer
USB1 Controller ULi/ALi M5237 USB Open Host Controller
USB1 Controller VIA VT83C572 PCI-USB Controller
USB2 Controller ULi/ALi M5273 USB 2.0 Host Controller
USB2 Controller VIA USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller
USB Device Creative WebCam NX Pro #2
USB Device Generic USB Hub
USB Device hp officejet 4100 series
USB Device officejet 4100 (DOT4USB)
USB Device USB Composite Device
USB Device USB Printing Support

OK -you have onboard video with shared Ram as far I can tell.

What I would suggest is you uninstall the video drivers and install a fresh copy.

Create a folder on your desktop call VideoDrivers (Windows Explorer, click Desktop, click File, New, Folder and name it so.

Go to this site:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Driver_Model.aspx?ProductID=1659

and download the XP Video drivers (the one that says XP and is 9.41 Mb) and MAKE SURE you specify that desktop Folder for the download.

Then, go into Start, Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs and find your Video drivers and remove them.

Reboot. Your screen will look weird - live with it.

Click on that desktop Folder and install the new drivers.

Reboot.

Sorry guys ... sleep intervened. Am ploughing through this this morning but, before I do something irrevocable, my 'video drivers' would be NVIDIA ( I also have Windows Media and DivX players but they're not drivers ... right)? Just checking thru' the Add/Remove programs etc.

'would be NVIDIA' - Yes! It should ask, I think, if you want all your settings deleted also. Say No!

Didn't see that last bit until I'd done it CCT! However, have tried downloading as suggested and, although it seems to do that OK, when it comes to unpacking and installing on the machine, it's telling me that it can't complete the installation and to check my 'Windows Log' for info. Sorry, but it's still leaving me behind a bit I'm afraid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back