Plug & play floppy drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodgreen

We have a plug& play floppy drive. Not it won't let me copy to it. It keeps trying to format the disks whether they are old or new. We bought a new one. It still does it.
The device manager recognizes it. We have windows xp.

You may have put the ribbon on upside down. I think the red strand should be on the left of the drive as you are looking at it from the back, in any case, the red strand on floppies is on the opposite side of the drive compared to IDE drives.

This is a floppy drive that you plug in to your USB port= plug & play. It takes the old 3 1/2 inch floppy disks.

Do other USB devices work okay in those ports? Are there any yellow symbols in the Device Manager?

The ol & new floppy both do the same thing & the same with a used & new disk.

There are not yellow marks in the device manager for the floppy nor the usb.

It keeps saying Drive A is not formatted. Do you want to format. I try & it won't let me.

Can you try the external floppy drives in another PC? It would be too much of a coincidence that they both are defective but see what happens anyway.

Thanks for everyone's help.
It's so strange the first one stopped working when it was working. Then the second one wouldn't work.
I will have to find someone's computer to use. So I guess I'll wait & let you know later ..

I went to another house. Both floppy drives work, & are recognized, & I can put a disk in each one, & the disks opens & can be read, in both.
The only thing new I did was to download MSN=Windows Live Messenger..
A while ago I downloaded Internet Explore 8 (Which causes a lot of screen blinking when i do things??.).
Then Verizon= internet provider made some changes.

do you have the latest Service Pack and all updates installed on your computer? if using XP, are you clicking Custom updates and installing all the hardware optional updates?

/* edit */
And are you running xp or vista, btw?

This is what the Update shows

Keep your computer up to date
Check to see if you need updates for Windows, your programs, your hardware or your devices.

Express Get high-priority updates (recommended) (Mine is set for express)
===========================================

Custom Select from optional and high-priority updates for Windows and other programs

Custom installs=
Download size: 0 KB , 0 minutes (Downloaded; ready to install)
Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) is an update to Windows XP that addresses key feedback from our customers and is a cumulative update that includes all previously released updates for Windows XP, including security updates. Windows XP SP3 contains a small number of new updates and should not significantly change the Windows XP experience. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Details...
==========================================================

Concerned about privacy? When you check for updates, basic information about your computer, not you, is used to determine which updates your programs need. To learn more, see our privacy statement.

Checking for the latest updates for your computer...

Help protect your PC

With Automatic Updates, Windows can automatically check for new security updates for your computer and install them for you.

Turn on Automatic Updates

Automatic Updates:
Turned ON. ( mine are automatic updates for Express=Not custom)
I'm not trained to know which.

I'm running XP. See my last reply. I use automatic=express updates. I went on add/remove programs. I have service pack 2 sp2.. I do see some SP 3= for microsoft= office 2003 -service pack 3 -sp3 for mainsp3 & wdviewsp3 & previewsp3. They were automatic installs. I have know idea what they are.
See my Above comment ---under custom updates I found==Custom installs=
Download size: 0 KB , 0 minutes (Downloaded; ready to install)
Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) is an update to Windows XP that addresses key feedback from our customers and is a cumulative update that includes all previously released updates for Windows XP, including security updates. Windows XP SP3 contains a small number of new updates and should not significantly change the Windows XP experience. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Details...
This is not installed as far as I know.

Agree. Install SP3. Before the install is good to assure you have plenty (coupla gigs) in free space, run your anti-virus so you're currently clean, and do a backup of your stuff as is always good practice. Then install SP3.

When it's done, you;ll want to re-run windows Update and click on Custom each time. Install any/all Hardware Optional updates (Software optional updates are your choice). Keep re-running Custom update until Windows finally says no more updates

plug & Play

Thanks for everyone's help.

I tried to downloaded sp3. my computer crashed. Everything has to be reloaded.

When Iwe are the computer owners= is it true I should not type in administrative?
I think that is for a network.

Sucks about your comp..

If you want to be real secure you'd have an admin account and a limited user account. But in reality that is a big inconvience. Its up to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back