Pop Up problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All

Thanks in Advance for your help

I have tried a system restore but I do not get an option for a previous restore date, I installed BT's new Mcafee solution last week and now I am getting annoying popups from

sagipsul

I was also getting antivirus 360 but since following the 8 steps it has stopped.

I have noticed the pc getting slower as well even though I try to do routine maintenance

I have followed all steps and have attached the logs.

Can any one help as the pc is virtually unusable.

Attachments

• hijackthis.txt
    13.4 KB · Views: 5
Hi Tally

It seems no one has been back to you in regards to your logs. Im going to take a look at them later today so bear with me and try and help you out. Sorry for the delay :p

Hi Tally

Ive started to look over you log and you dont have HJT installed in the correct place. HJT should NOT be installed on the desktop.

The default install folder is C:\Program Files\HijackThis.

Once you have changed this then due to the nature of your problem please locate the HijackThis.exe file yourself with Windows Explorer and right click on it and select Rename. Rename to analyse.exe by just typing in analyse.exe to overwrite the old name. This is very important since a few forms of malware will hide unless HijackThis is renamed

Thanks and when you post the new log i will re read

:approve:

Hi Tally

I have had a look over your log. Everything seems clean really apart from one file

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe

The file can either be malicious OR a required file for Nero

Please download update and run Spybot S&D from Here

Run the .exe file and then update. After this Immunize your system.

Then run the full scan and remove anything it finds.

I have instructions on how to use the program Here

THEN

Please go to Start>Run and type in:

msconfig

Then go to the start up tab and make sure there is not a tick in the box next to any entries:

NeroCheck.exe
NeroFilterCheck
wlnotlfy.dll

NEXT

Go to My Computer and then double click on C:

In the search box look for and delete any of the following files if found

~ipcfg211
~res416
~start127
~tmp312
~view441
KB899583.log
KB873841.log
KB952344.log

Then please reply with a fresh HijackThis log

Thanks

Thanks Rev_Olie

i tried to run msconfig but i says its not there any more.
copied one from a program but wants me to log in as admin but i am admin.
I will try to get a copy of msconfig.exe

cannot find search box in c drive

but since i have run malware and spybot and sas it looks like my pc is a lot faster and not getting the popups.

New hjt attached

Thanks
Tally

Sorry now finf attached hjt

Good I'm glad to hear that.

I actually forgot to ask you to attach the Spybot log but thetas ok.

Did spybot find anything? because the program in question has gone so that's good.

I would advise you to now run CCleaner to get rid of the logs the programs have generated. I would also advise that you run CCleaner once a month as it removes junk from your system.

You can download it from Here

Then again the instructions are Here

The download for MSCONFIG can be found here at the bottom of the page

After that your PC should be allot faster :approve:

HijackThis is a program created by Merijn.

It give me and other PC users lists of Programs that are running on your machine and other programs that installed in specific areas on your PC.

We then look through the list and search each reference. This then tells us if the user has any Malware, Viruses, Spyware,Ad ware and other malicious programs installed on their PC.

We then look through the list for the name of the file and then use an appropriate program to remove the virus.

That help you?

Hi rev_olie

Thanks for your help. spybot found myway.mywebsearch and approx 15 ad type ones that all the others had missed.

i have looked at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\MSCONFIG.EXE and cannot find the msconfig.exe so says it cannot find it

I have downloaded the msconfig and put it back where is should go but when i run it it tells me i need to be logged in as administrator which i am already

when i run it independently i get the admin problem

Any ideas please

Cheers
Tally

It it weird how little thing can make so much difference to a PCs speed but at least its all gone.

As for the msconfig rights I'm not sure. Ive only really heard of the problem and haven't as such been able to solve it.

The workaround Ive used is that there are other tools out there that will do the job.

Seeing as though Ive put it in my last post you can use CCleaner to disable start up entries.

Have a look at the instructions i posted on how to use CCleaner. Near the bottom i have included a small section on how to use the start up editor.

Also have you tired going into XP via safe mode and logging into the Admin specific login that should appear and trying to use MSCONFIG from there?

I will have a look at the problem again and see what i can do for you :suspiciou

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back