Portal 2 supports cross-platform gaming on PC, PS3

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Portal fans were undoubtedly disappointed last June when Valve cancelled Portal 2's E3 media event and delayed the sequel's release until mid-2011. Putting a positive spin on that news, the developer promised to wow gamers with a surprise instead -- and we may have just received it. According to Shacknews, Portal 2 for the PlayStation 3 will support cross-platform multiplayer and chat with the PC and Mac versions (this isn't coming to the Xbox 360).

What's more, PS3 customers will get a free SteamPlay copy of the sequel for PC and Mac. "PS3 gamers will be able to simply drop the Blu-ray disc in the PS3, link to their Steam account from inside the game, and all their Steam friends (on PC and Mac) will be visible and accessible for chat and game invites," explained Josh Weier, Portal 2 project lead. There's talk of cloud-based saved games, so you might be able to access your progress on each platform.

"Working together with Sony we have identified a set of features we believe are very compelling to gamers. We hope to expand upon the foundation being laid in Portal 2 with more Steam features and functionality in DLC and future content releases," said Valve boss Gabe Newell. We assume that last part about "future content releases" is referring to other games, so we might be looking at the first of many titles planned to support cross-platform gaming.

Permalink to story.

"functionality in DLC"

Paid DLC better also be a PS3 exclusive in this PC and PS3 cross platform game.

Also the PC version better be a fair amount cheaper. It wouldn't be fair that PS3 gamers get all copies but ones bought through steam don't get PS3 ones.

Bring on L4D3 so I can play on my PC while messaging my PSN friends. Do it Valve! Do it, do it.

Really glad to see this, but wonder if the recent PS3 hack will either cause problems or cause Sony to retract this option.

this is the kind of neat stuff that happens when small developer's like valve actually push new ideas. my best guess as to why they didn't to it with the 360 is because they prob didn't want to put up with microsoft's network licensing for XBL, where as sony was completely open to the idea.

for all the people with the PS3 hate... buy it for PS3, get the PC version, then sell or trade the PS3 copy. it's a win/win

Princeton said:
OUTLAWXXX said:
omg some developer out there is a 360 hater ><

Not cool... ...

Not true in the slightest. Microsoft won't allow it. Do your research please.

Oh I'm sorry I hurt your feelings :( Don't really care though with funny speculations ^^

This is awesome, didn't expect this but I guess if anyone was going to pull it off with the PS3 it would be Valve. Curious to see if they will do this with future shooters that come out.

Princeton said:
"functionality in DLC"

Paid DLC better also be a PS3 exclusive in this PC and PS3 cross platform game.

Also the PC version better be a fair amount cheaper. It wouldn't be fair that PS3 gamers get all copies but ones bought through steam don't get PS3 ones.

Considering the game is properly priced and Valve has been fair to gamers so far I personally am not to worried. If they did something as you suggest the uproar from the community would be pretty bad I'd Imagine.

[Bring on L4D3 so I can play on my PC while messaging my PSN friends. Do it Valve! Do it, do it.]

come on now seriously....

PanicX said:
Princeton said:
OUTLAWXXX said:
omg some developer out there is a 360 hater ><

Not cool... ...

Not true in the slightest. Microsoft won't allow it. Do your research please.

Not in the slightest?
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=263859

The article you linked is about Microsofts policies. So no it isn't valve hating on them just because they made the 360. They're hating on them because of their closed system for online.

https://www.techspot.com/news/39738...because-pc-gamers-wrecked-console-gamers.html

On your face microsoft!! Sony will put you *** on the dark corner if you keep wanting to make money out everything, even from the people that is suppose to support your platform so i could not die!!

What the heck? Does this mean that people could get free copies of Portal 2??? Just buy the PS3 copy; download the complimentary PC version; and take the PS3 disc back to the store for a full refund.

compu4 said:
What the heck? Does this mean that people could get free copies of Portal 2??? Just buy the PS3 copy; download the complimentary PC version; and take the PS3 disc back to the store for a full refund.

I'm guessing the stores would be able to get valve to pull the game off your account.

hello ...

i'm getting this for PS3 & freely for PC :) ... well still PS3 version of all games cost sometimes 10$ more, but i don't know i guess i'm lucky for i always pay full PS3 games cheaper, like around 30-40$, i guess it's all about the store :p

this is great for my two main platform are PC (steam mostly) & PS3, so buying on 1 giving me access to same content means i'm buying the licence on multi platform & it's so cool, i really hope Valve does so with other games too. having the steam platform also on PS3 is great.

being an online feature it will remove the hacked consoles from the list or make it easy to ban them.

OT:

i still don't understand 1 thing when there's a post about a console, not just PS3 ... here on techspot, is it a PC ONLY site or technology one ? why do we have PS3 or Xbox haters !!? i would agree to have a loyalist because of specific reasons, but why haters !? ... if you don't like it, don't buy it & let others who like do so & be happy ... i think it's immature to bash other platforms when you don't own them & if someone who owns most platform still does same, i would doubt the good use made of any...too bad maturity doesn't depend on age / social status or knowledge!

BOT:

I'm a steam supporter & now it pays off, it's great to be on multiple platforms & enjoying so much goodies (well sort of, for i still do lack time / sleep / huh!...)

cheers!

Back