Possible Corrupt accounts in XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

orangeCat1

I have been having some issues with Office 2003 professional. I have noticed under Documents and Settings I have entries for my known accounts but I also can see 2 that have me concerned. Marked in photo.

There are entries in this directory, but they are not users within my Users and Groups. see photo_2

How to tell of these are legit?

I was working setting up a Home network recently. Would these have made such entries without having users in the Users and Groups?

Can/Should I delete these folders??

I have been having some issues with Office 2003 Pro that seems to deal with accounts and privileges.

Outlook has not been installed for current user. is the error.

I did a remove and reinstall from Admin account, but I did do a M$oft update after the reinstall. I'm wondering if the Auto update has introduced something?

Thanks in advance for any advice and help

They look like Domain User accounts. Have you set up a Domain Network?
You may need to run Netsetup to bring it back to a Workgroup (easiest way)

Or right click on My Computer->Properties->Computer Name-> Change button

Another option is to just create a New Admin Account, and just delete the old accounts, but confirm everything is working first

They look like Domain User accounts. Have you set up a Domain Network?
You may need to run Netsetup to bring it back to a Workgroup (easiest way)

Or right click on My Computer->Properties->Computer Name-> Change button

Another option is to just create a New Admin Account, and just delete the old accounts, but confirm everything is working first

Kimsland,

My normal admin account is called User. I have another Admin account jack.
I have just added jack because that was the name of the user on my Dell laptop.

I set up a home Lan -- I thought it was as a Workgroup -- consisting of 2 machines.

AMD desktop with account USER and Dell laptop with account jack.

I set up the jack account on the desktop so I could use the Dell laptop to read files and use the printer on the desktop.

Perhaps I set it up as a domain as you suggest?

If I create a new admin account, can I delete the current admin account USER?
Even though it was USER that installed all software on the desktop, is it permitted to delete that account?

Thanks, and I'll google Netsetup

Well good point on the original User that set up all software

What happens is this User has all the registry entries pointing to what's been installed and by whom and also the Windows Security Updates (not the updates themselves but who installed them) Plus many other areas like games and settings so forth.

So maybe leave that User alone (ie don't delete)
But, again, if all programs work on a new user account, then the original account removal won't matter (except for history of who installed what ie above)

Continue on :)

Can you elaborate a bit on Netsetup?

Google search didn't give me anything comfortable.
I did a netsetup /? in cmd and it gave only 4 terms.
I'm not sure how to use it but it does sound the right thing to do if I have set up Domain and not workgroup.

Thanks

I ran netsetup on my desktop and created a network file on USB stick. Went thru the NetSetup wizard.
Took my USB to the Dell laptop (Vista Home sp1), tried to run the file.

Vista just remains busy ---- program related to checking XP version???

No Vista doesn't have Netsetup

I'm trying to fix the XP machine with you ;)

OK, I misunderstood. When running netsetup it told me to make a file
and install it on each machine. As I said in earlier post, I wasn't familiar with netsetup.
I just followed the instructions.

That's right
And that's what I quote everyone to do, it's certainly a lot easier :grinthumb

But it don't work on Vista

So just do it on XP and get a workgroup going, and then make the same workgroup on Vista if you want a network

I take it that the XP machine is all ok now ?

I still have the problem with Office 2003 Professional that I mentioned in the first post.
Outlook has not been installed for the current user

I'm sure it has something to do with privileges, so I was tracking down those accounts that seemed strange.

There are several posts related to this error message, but there does not seem to be a permanent solution.

Yes I've answered posts like that before too
But what about Vista? Are we working on the XP now? The network? Office?

Try repair Office, it's in add\remove programs (Note: Outlook is part of Office)

Yes I've answered posts like that before too
But what about Vista? Are we working on the XP now? The network? Office?

Try repair Office, it's in add\remove programs (Note: Outlook is part of Office)

We're working with XP.and Office 2003 Professional.
I did the repair previously and it did not resolve the problem.

Seems something has modified a profile or some info.

I did the complete removal of Office 2003 Professional. I did a new reinstall into a different directory. All feedback from the installation indicates everything was successful.

After rebooting my machine, and trying my Outlook I get the same error message.
"Outlook not installed for current user"

I get a similar error
Word not installed for current user when trying to use word.

Same for Access.

I did some searching and found a "fix" at
http://www.anypcinfo.com/MS_Office_Not_Installed_Fix.shtml

In overview it says, create a newAdmin user account,
open each of the Office 2003 programs and close them.
open regedit, go toHK CurrentUser, software, microsoft,office and export reg entries to a known location.
Logon as your normal account,
go to regedit,
go toHK CurrentUser, software, microsoft,office and importt reg entries from the known location.

Try you Office 2003 programs.

I tried it and it worked. I had use of my office programs including Outllok and its rules etc.. However, when I rebooted my machine the problem came back.

I have tried the temp fix a couple of times now just to get some emails.

I really don't think it is an Outlook issue. I think it has something to do with accounts and privileges. That's how I entered this thread thinking it had something to do with my "weird" accounts.

Have you got any ideas? Why would the different registry entries remove the "problem" or at least improve things for a short time?

Thanks.

Yes

Actually do this (only if you like) It takes 10 mins of your time

Download Combofix
Lots of info on its use h e r e
Direct download h e r e

Locate the downloaded Combofix. Double click on it to run, answering any prompts along the way
Note: during Combofix scan (lasting up to 10mins) your Desktop and clock may reset (all normal)
ComboFix will also restart your computer (eventually) and then (eventually) create a log

Save this log file to be attached to a new reply

In fact I found I had a corrupt user profile.

When I signed on using the Jack username/account, it kept showing me things associated with the Jack.Home-63996... profile. See original post in this thread for details

Solution:
Followed kb811151 explicitly and now everything is OK.

My Office 2003 is working fine. No repair, no reinstall required.

I chose not to run ComboFix, but I may run it to find if there is anything else lurking in my system.

Thanks Kimsland for your assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back