Possible RAM fault? (Win XP stop 0x0000007F)

Hello.

For the last ten days or so I've been experiencing moderately regular STOP messages with this information given:

STOP: 0x0000007F (0x00000008, 0xBA338D70, 0X0, 0X0)

There's nothing displayed to tell me what process or module failed.

I should say straight off, I have not got a single technical bone in my body. I'm a pretty competent user of the PC, and I'm happy to install things, take bits out and put other bits in and generally housekeep and tweak - but I have no idea at all how a computer actually works, once you get into the bits that're all long strings of numbers. Could all be hamsters, for all I know. Mathematical hamster geniuses.

With that in mind, I've been trawling the net looking for possible causes of this problem. It occurred suddenly, whilst playing a game (Mount & Blade Warband, if it's of any relevance, but I don't think it is), and it's happened fairly regularly since. Often on initial bootup once I'm past the Windows logon screen; other times it runs happily for an hour or so and then BSODs once it thinks I've got too relaxed about the whole thing.

It looks as though most sources online agree that it's probablypossiblymaybe a hardware problem, most likely RAM. I have 2GB installed in four 512MB blocks. I've run memtest86+ fairly halfheartedly - about three sweeps (non-consecutively) have come up with nothing. But I'm aware memtest needs to be run more thoroughly than that, so that's on my list. I have two questions first though, if I may run them past you knowledgeable types?

1. I'm one of these people who's a bit squirrelly about leaving a computer running - especially if it's actually doing something - overnight. As silly as it sounds (particularly since I work in an office whose hundred or so computers haven't been switched off in about five years), I'm always reasonably convinced it'll blow up and burn the house down. So with regard to memtest, to get a proper result using, say, 8-10 sweeps, do those sweeps have to be run consecutively?

2. I run a dual-boot system between WinXP (SP3) and Ubuntu Linux 9.04 (Jaunty). If I'm running Linux, I've not noticed any problems at all in terms of crashes. No, I'm not going to start on 'Linux is better than Windows' - but I would like to know if a RAM fault would be likely to affect Ubuntu running on the same machine in any way. Ubuntu certainly doesn't have to do a lot of the work that Windows does (Win's mainly a gaming setup for me), but it does have some moderately memory-intensive programs. Should I expect them to be affected as well?

Sorry about the wall of text: I tend to ramble. I'd appreciate any advice, though, just to see if I can identify which is the poorly hamster. :eek:)

• Stop 0x7F messages are typically due to defective, malfunctioning, or failed memory hardware. If you added new hardware recently, remove and replace it to determine if it is causing or contributing to the problem. Run diagnostics software supplied by the system manufacturer to determine if the component has failed.

• Running the CPU beyond the rated specification, known as "overclocking," can cause Stop 0x7F or other error messages due to heat buildup. When diagnosing problems on overclocked systems, first restore all clock and bus speed settings to the manufacturer recommended values to determine if this resolves the issues.

• The problem might also be due to cracks, scratched traces, or defective components on the motherboard. If all else fails, take the system motherboard to a repair facility for diagnostic testing.

• Stop 0x7F messages can occur after installing incompatible applications, drivers, or system services. Contact the software manufacturer about possible Windows XP specific updates. Using updated software is especially important for backup programs, multimedia applications, antivirus scanners, and CD mastering tools.

Given that your problem seems to have begun with the game, I would suggest the following...

1. Try uninstalling the game, and see you you continue to get errors. If errors go away, this would indicate a buggy or incompatible driver / game component.

2. Given that this error is a fairly strong indicator of hardware though...
a. Are you overclocking? If so, then reset to standard clocking.
b, Are you certain your bios memory settings are correct for your memory. If not, check and adjust as needed.
c. Run memtest. It is safe. Run it per the instructions, which you seem to have already found.

Please follow this guide... https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html

Please note that (unless you start getting errors reported) you will need to let this run a long time.
A good way of doing this is to let it run over night. In each 'pass" there are a series of eight memory tests that are run, each more complicated than the previous. You need to let it run a minimum of 7 passes, unless you start getting errors. If you have errors reported, you may want to re-run the test with only one stick of ram installed, checked each stick until you isolate those that are faulty. That way you can limit your replacement to those that actually need it.

Let us know the results.
If your memory comes up without errors, then ...

Try a program like Everest, or CrystalDiskInfo...
The former is a general look at your system and may catch disk issues.
The latter is specifically for hard drive diagnostic.
I do not really think that your hard-drive is at issue, but one of this programs may provide some additional clues.

Finally, If any logs are generated by the above suggestions, post them.
THEN, also attach a zip of your five most recent minidumps, found in Windows\minidump.
More system specs would also be helpful, including your XP SP#. (Service pack 1, 2, or 3)

Hope this gives a starting point. After you repost, I or one of the others will check your information further and see what we can do to help.

If still someone has that problem with a desktop-PC: my problem was the TV board.
I have an Intel Pentium D Inside PC with nvidia GeForce and Win XP.
Just remove the TV board.

Back