Possible to route PC audio entirely through one speaker?

A while ago, I accidentally broke off the prong on my speaker wire inside the audio out port of my laptop. Naturally this rendered the port practically useless, but I recently found that if I position the cord just right I can still plug speakers in and get them to work. The problem is, only the left speaker will work, it is impossible for me to get any audio through my right speaker at all. Since this leaves me with only half of the audio experience, the left channel, from anything I listen to, I was wondering if anyone knew how I can change my audio settings so that the full audio is played through both speakers (i.e. mono output rather than stereo), though I will obviously only be hearing it through one. I've tried every apparent option in the volume mixer, but none seem to give me the desired effect, so I'm thinking I may have to use a third party program unless I missed something.

I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate, 32 bit. I'm not sure about the particulars of my sound card, but Device Manager names it as Conexant High Definition Audio if this helps. Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to provide.

If that pc was mine I would do whatever it takes to get the broken plug out. ( Or repair the socket. )
But another way around it, and to get stereo sound from speakers, would be to buy a set of USB stereo speakers.
They plug into USB socket, and are powered by the same socket.
On the upside you will get the stereo sound you want, on the downside the sound won't be more than about 1W, and you will have one USB socket less to use for other things.
I use Altec Lansing XT-1 USB speakers on a Dell 510 tower, it's fine.
Fairly sure my speakers are not made now, but similar ones are easily available for a low cost. See;
http://www.usbspeakers.org.uk/logitech-s150-digital-usb

i would do the same as "mike1959" has said, but if you just simply want the audio through the one speaker (not sure why) run the configuration for speakers and just set it the mono

Back