possible vista 20 sec freeze solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldsalt19

I have seen several posts in a number of places, both here and on other boards, about a mysterious 20 sec "freeze" when running under Vista that started occurring in early Sept, 2007, right after a Vista auto-update. I thought perhaps it would be most efficient just to post a new message here. I had the same problem. When researching the glitch, I notice a number of those affected had Nvidia display boards, including me. I went to the Nvidia site and downloaded and installed a new driver. The problem disappeared immediately. So it looks like that update in Sept introduced an incompatibility vis a vis the Nvidia board.

I haven't seen any posts here about a 20 second freeze, maybe I'm missing something. Do you have any links where people have had this problem? Does CPU usage spike during this, or is the entire system locked?

My apologies to all, especially to Julio. None of those threads appeared here. (except mine) Instead, it was here:
http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1352596&SiteID=17
Unfortunately, I visit (or lurk) so many forums, that I have a tendancy to get them confused. I tried to post this info there but couldn't get on. There were several other sites on the net where this problem was discussed. This one took me about 5 seconds to find. Also, I was wrong about the date. The above thead was started in March of this year. It ain't fun to grow old but it beats the alternative. Perhaps I need to stop cluttering up the board and leave the bandwidth for those who know what they're doing

Julio, thank you for bringing this to my attention. Now I have a whole three posts!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back