Power supply has to go. No, I am not asking which one to buy.

EClyde

I had a completely new experience.

I installed a new R9 280 today.
I have a CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W 80 PLUS GOLD PSU. (+12V@62A)
I was running an ATI 6870.

Previously I never heard the PSU. While checking out a game a fan ramped up and I thought it the
R9 280. I thought man that's loud. Through some experimentation I found the R9 280 fan noise was not the problem but the HX 750. I cannot tolerate too much noise from my computer so this PSU has to go.

I know the R9 280 draws more power then the 6870 so the PSU is doing it's job.

My question is: How many watt PSU would I need so it won't ramp up....or are there other considerations I need to focus on as well...besides the +12 rating and wattage.

Thanks for any help

Just get the Rosewill Gold 450w, I think it's on sale.
You won't really find any good passive power supplies.

If you feel comfortable you can just purchase some 80 or 120mm (whatever the PSU takes) silent fans and replace them yourself. I have done this on my PSUs twice when a fan bearing has started to go bad. One problem you may run into is the connector, so some cutting and soldering may be involved. Do not attempt if you do not feel comfortable or understand the dangers of working with opened power supplies (some big capacitors involved).

If you feel comfortable you can just purchase some 80 or 120mm (whatever the PSU takes) silent fans and replace them yourself. I have done this on my PSUs twice when a fan bearing has started to go bad. One problem you may run into is the connector, so some cutting and soldering may be involved. Do not attempt if you do not feel comfortable or understand the dangers of working with opened power supplies (some big capacitors involved).
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Last night I watched a youtube video...quite good actually, of a guy doing just that. I don't think there is anything wrong with the fan. The PSU is just blowing air...there is no rattle or whine. I believe there maybe some issue with the PSU itself or it is just doing what it was designed to do...supply power when needed and stay cool. At any rate I am going to replace it.

Some fans are much quieter than others while pushing the same amount of air. So there could still be nothing wrong with the PSU other than the fans are inherently loud.

The problem is solved. The PSU is bad. I took a 650 Corsair HX from my backup computer put it in my main computer started up Far Cry 3 and there is essentially no noise now coming from the PSU.

Thanks for your help

Back