Power supply question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope someone can advise me with my situation.
I have a Quad based system based on an an ASUS M3A78-CM motherboard with an AMD Phenom 9950 Quad core cpu and fan. I have an EVGA GTX 260 video card installed and the rest of the system is made up of 2 Seagate SATA hard drives, 2 SATA DVD RW drives, 1 Creative Audigy Patinum card with the drive bay front access, I also have a multi card reader in the system and the rest is made up of system fans that come with the ASUS Vento 3600. My question is what size power supply do I need to have my system operating stably? Right now I have a 600 watt ower supply but I am not sure if this is adequate. I apologize if this is a silly question but I really need the advice.
Thank you all in advance.
Winston

Still not clear about the results

Thanks for your response but I am a novice and don't understand the results. What does it mean when the specks of my EVGA GTX 260 says that minumum power required is 500watts. The results posted was 350 watts recommended. Yet my video card requirements say at least 500 watts minimum.
Perhaps just your expert guestimation will suffice. Should I get a power supply that is more than the 600 watts that I currently have or?
Again my apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Happy holidays.

then you need a power supply that meets the requirements of both: 500w + 350w = 850W + 30% = 1105w

Your PSU needs to be at least 1100 watts
your graphics card is a power hog.

Usually when a graphics card states that a "500 watt PSU is required", that number INCLUDES the computer itself.. IE If a graphics card states that a 350 watt minimum PSU is required, then you need a 350 w3aqtt PSU period.

Here is Antec's PSU calculator page http://www.antec.outervision.com/. It lists most equipment by model number, just plug in your component numbers and it will calculat your requirements accurately. (With a bit of a safety margin).

Your PSU needs to be at least 1100 watts

I don't quite agree. When the minimum power for the GPU is mentioned it usually talks about the total system power consumed when running the card. I think a 650W will do very nicely indeed for the OP.

Replyme.......Considered Yourself Nagged......

I don't quite agree. When the minimum power for the GPU is mentioned it usually talks about the total system power consumed when running the card. I think a 650W will do very nicely indeed for the OP.
Might I be so rude as to point out that I said that?

Usually when a graphics card states that a "500 watt PSU is required", that number INCLUDES the computer itself.. IE If a graphics card states that a 350 watt minimum PSU is required, then you need a 350 watt PSU period.

Here is Antec's PSU calculator page http://www.antec.outervision.com/. It lists most equipment by model number, just plug in your component numbers and it will calculate your requirements accurately. (With a bit of a safety margin).

Well yes indeed, I am (that rude) and I did (say that)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back