Power supply upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimba75

Hey my name is jim, I recently purchased a video card and I need to upgrade my PSU. I am looking to get a 600-700W supply. I need to know what my pc can accept. here are my specs.

Operating System System Model
Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 1 (build 6001)
Install Language: English (United States)
System Locale: English (United States) Gateway W3653a C00
System Serial Number: GCJ87C0004423
Enclosure Type: Desktop
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
1.60 gigahertz Intel Celeron
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Not hyper-threaded Board: ELITEGROUP 945GCT-M3 3.1
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: 945GCT-M3 V1.12E 05/09/2008
Drives Memory Modules c,d
320.07 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
65.16 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-H653B ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]

Generic USB CF Reader USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 2
Generic USB MS Reader USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 4
Generic USB SD Reader USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 1
Generic USB SM Reader USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 3
WDC WD3200AAJS-22B4A0 [Hard drive] (320.07 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WMAT13661549, rev 01.03A01, SMART Status: Healthy 1016 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'A0' has 512 MB
Slot 'A1' is Empty
Slot 'A2' has 512 MB
Slot 'A3' is Empty
Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 308.47 GB 59.59 GB free
d: (NTFS on drive 0) 11.61 GB 5.58 GB free

Controllers Display
ATA Channel 0 [Controller] (2x)
ATA Channel 1 [Controller] (2x)
Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 27DF
Intel(R) 82801GB/GR/GH (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller - 27C0 Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family [Display adapter]
EMA E17T6W [Monitor] (17.2"vis, s/n M288670H10231, June 2008)
Bus Adapters Multimedia
Microsoft iSCSI Initiator
Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27C8
Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27C9
Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27CA
Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27CB
Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 27CC Realtek High Definition Audio
Virus Protection [Back to Top] new Group Policies
Microsoft Security Essentials Version 2.1.6519.0
Scan Engine Version 1.1.5703.0
Virus Definitions Version 1.81.1047.0
Realtime File Scanning Off
None discovered
Communications Other Devices
PCI Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP

my power supply is a delta electronics model#dps-250ab-22 e

I am new to this so please let me know if you need more info.

help is appreciated.

What new video card did you get? Considering the rest of your system specs, my guess is that you do not actually need a 600-700 watt PSU.

My guess, with specs like that, is that you would most likely need a 450 to 550 watt at the very most. The Celeron dual cores don't exactly need a nuclear power plant to run well, and neither do the rest of your components. Adding even a relatively new video card to a system like that wouldn't increase the overall power requirements to sky-high levels.

I can vouch for this baby:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371007

^^^^^
That is the Antec earthwatts 500 watt psu. It's only $75, and certified to run with 80% power efficiency or better and is currently powering these specifications:

Intel E6750 2.67 gHz
GeForce BFG tech 9800 GTX 512+ factory overclocked
2 gigabytes DDR3 1066
WD 160 gigabyte 7200 rpm hard drive
MSI P-35 neo combo motherboard
Creative Soundblaster Audigy Soundcard
And three 120mm fans

I think with these credentials, your system would likely work just fine with that sort of a power supply. It's also great value for money, and you're getting a good brand name.

Ok, the system posted above has no graphics card and doesn't need a powersupply, that 250 its running is plenty at the moment (not a great powersupply though).

Thanks, all good advice....

I bought the geforce 9600 gso.
It says 350w minimum, but I also plan on getting a bunch more stuff...
Idont know if that will need as much as 600-700w down the road, but I figured to be safe?

I'm getting my RAM maxed out next week, and I will probably try and make this my first project build?

anyway, I'm just looking for what my machine can handle...

Also, I was wondering if my setup can be upgraded to ddr3?
Or if I got a new motherboard how do I know what would work in my computer?
All of you have been very helpful, so thanks alot!!!

It would be helpful if you could please post the manufacturer and model of each of your components.

Is your system an OEM machine or have you assembled it?

Operating System System Model
Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 1 (build 6001)
Install Language: English (United States)
System Locale: English (United States) Gateway W3653a C00
System Serial Number: GCJ87C0004423
Enclosure Type: Desktop
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
1.60 gigahertz Intel Celeron
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Not hyper-threaded Board: ELITEGROUP 945GCT-M3 3.1
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: 945GCT-M3 V1.12E 05/09/2008
Drives Memory Modules c,d
320.07 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
65.16 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
WDC WD3200AAJS-22B4A0 [Hard drive] (320.07 GB)
Delta Electronics 250watt PSU

Right but what do I do if I want to experience gains? Or how do I know when not to require gains? I want to know how to meke my pc the best it can be!! what "mobo"? what RAM? What CPU? what PSU? what wires? etc......

But, I can only buy what fits right? and I dont have $700 to lay out all at once. So, I already have the GFX card what now? PSU or RAm OR CPU or motherboard or first a new case?

I can go buy a $400 component, but it seems like I need one for the other?

Like I said, all the free advice so far has been awesome.. I think I will go with the ANTEC or whatever^^^^^ up there, also put 2 GB or more of RAM. Maybe a sound card, or maybe some awesome programs????

As far as charts to go off of when buying new hardware, it's all so scattered.

I'll second HK on the CPU. If you can't afford to build a system from scratch right now but want performance gains, then the CPU must change.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with the choice of CPU.

A Pentium dual core? He can get a much better one than that. His motherboard supports the Core 2 Duo series. Why not choose from the higher E8xxx models? The E8400 would perform a good amount better than the Pentium.

The only difference is in price. But if he has the money to spend, then spending it on something like this, I think, would be a wiser choice.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037

Sorry, but I have to disagree with the choice of CPU.

A Pentium dual core? He can get a much better one than that. His motherboard supports the Core 2 Duo series. Why not choose from the higher E8xxx models? The E8400 would perform a good amount better than the Pentium.

The only difference is in price. But if he has the money to spend, then spending it on something like this, I think, would be a wiser choice.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115037

Hi IvanAwfulitch. The E8400 is an excellent CPU. But you must ask yourself if it's worth spending an extra $100 for the E8400 on the present setup. I think the E6500 is the better pick considering the rest of the system and the price.

At the end of the day I would suggest that the OP save up and build a completely new system after a couple of months.

Well, when you say "save up and do a new build" I completely agree. But the OP was asking how they could pimp out their computer with the money they had right now. And with their budget, I believe that the 8400, despite being 90 bucks more, is the better performer and would serve him better than the pentium.

I paid just as much for my E6750 when it came out 2 years ago, and this thing is still a good little proc considering what it is. And I would just as gladly pay that price to get the E8400 if it promises a good performance gain...which it does. Just look up a benchmark like 3dMark CPU and you'll find the 8400 is several notches higher than the pentium and my 6750 in many respects.

However, now that the ball game has changed slightly, I'd like to throw up my vote for a new system build. It would be a smarter choice because you would get an updated motherboard that supports a wider array of the newer hardware that's coming out, you'd have better performance gains, and the system will last a heck of a lot longer.

Jimba, if you're looking for, essentially, a new computer that will tear some serious butt in some of the newer games coming out, you've got to hold onto your cash and save up a good amount...say...1000 bucks? And with that money, buy yourself a Core i7 based system that will support DDR3 RAM, has at LEAST 2 PCI-e 2.0 slots, and may support USB 3.0.

I'd also recommend..for now at least, returning your 9600 GSO because, frankly, it's a lump of junk compared to even the GT version. With the refund, and maybe a little bit more of your cash, spend as CLOSE to 200 bucks as you're willing to spend, and get yourself a nice new graphics card. Buy one that's nice enough that it will last you several years, and that you can transfer over to your new system once you have the money for the rest of your components.

If you want a potential build setup, I'd be more than willing to help you set one up for around that price-bracket.

This isn't the old E6500, its the new (newer than e8000's) E6500 at 45nm. Its fairly comparable to the E8400, but newer and cheaper.
Yeah if possible sell or return that graphics card.

Well that sucks, I thought I was buying a good card? Returning it will be a pain in the ***. Maybe I could try to sell it.. I want to get a new mobo, and CPU, and all that but I dont know what would fit in the case I have. Or, if the connections used in my current setup will support a different motherboard. So basically, if I get more RAM, and a new PSU, and use this card I will see no upgrade in my gameplay?

Save some money and keep you're motherboard, for now.

My suggestion is:
1) Return you're current graphics card.
2) Purchase an E6500.
3) Purchase a Corsair 450w.
4) Purchase a 5770 or higher.
Good and cheap imo, costs under $300.

The only problem with size could be the 5770, which you can measure.

So basically, if I get more RAM, and a new PSU, and use this card I will see no upgrade in my gameplay?
Currently, you don't seem to have a graphics card, so in fact you will get vast performance increase in comparison.

Thanks HK, you have been a great help..I will get two of the components this week...
The graphics card will have to do until I get another 200 bucks.

Ok, here is what im going to get next.

1. Intel Pentium Dual-Core E6500 Wolfdale 2.93GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

2. CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Questions are:

1a. would these fit right in my case and could my pc handle these items?
2a. after installing these what memory should I buy?

note: I will be using the 9600 GSO with this, until I can get more money....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back