Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vancouverite

hey there, i just bought a Nvidia Geforce 9500gt 1gb PCI-E card and it says that the minimum power it needs is 350 watts. i have a 400 watt power supply. ive been running a pentium 4, 3ghz with windows xphome and 3.5g of ram, a radeon x1050 card, and 2 moderate sized hard drives with a intel desktop board D915GAv/D915pgn. my monitor is a BENQ fp757-12.

NOW!!! i was so irritated when this new card i bought DID NOT WORK! nothing seems to work in this friggin comnputer for me :(... i plug the new card in the place of the old card,and plug the monitor into the vga input, but when the computer turns on the monitor dosn't and the little red light on the computer stays on solid but theres not much noise. i end up just turning it off. i cant install the drivers for the new card because it need to be in my computer fo r it to install them....but i cant see cause the monitors not on...and ive tried wiping the other drivers from the old card and starting form scratch but that didnt work also...

SO!!! am i going to have to buy a larger power supply, say, 500 or 550 watts? Or does my promlem lie elsewhere? Thanks to any responders!

Did you uninstall the drivers of the old card before removing it? Does plugging in the old card work?

well, thanks for the calculator post. it didnt help much though. i asked the people at XFX and they said that some 915 model intel boards dont like running video cards with 1g or more ram...looks like im left with downgrading my card :(...oh well.

Just checking but when you uninstalled the old driver for the ATI Radeon card, did you do it through Add and Remove Programs? Sometimes people try to do it through the Device Manager but that doesn't really get rid of it.

i asked the people at XFX and they said that some 915 model intel boards dont like running video cards with 1g or more ram

That's a little strange. However, since I'm not certain I won't refute the claim. I suggest that you try running your new card on another system to check if its working.

i uninstalled it everywhere it could be uninstalled from. lol.

so i bought a radeon HD 4550 512mb card and it worked! seems the people at xfx know what there talking about. still dissapointed that my motherboard cant handle some of these new big cards... and most of the stuff i just got wont fit on a new motherboard..LOL..but not really lol...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back