'Power Surge on Hub Port' Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fortify

I have a Dell Dimension 5150 running Windows XP SP3; whenever I turn on my printer (HP psc 2410 Photosmart all-in-one) and attempt to print something, I get 'Power surge on Hub Port' error. I have tested all my USB ports with other devices (USB Stick; Keyboard; Mouse) and it works perfectly. Any Ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks !

Samson.

Hi Fortify

Try this .... right click Start > Properties > Taskbar tab > Customise > Select Power surge from the list and click on Always Hide ...

Let me know if this works .... You might want to install Service Pack 3 for XP from Microsoft's website. This error is caused by a bug with SP2.

Spyder_1386 :)

Still didn't work :(

I did a virus scan; no viruses. I'm already using SP3 (Version 5.1 Build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr .080814-1236 :Service Pack 3). So, I think it won't be SP2 related problem :S

1) Did you just do the SP3 upgrade??? As your original post said you're using SP2??
2) Can you tell if it's Windows or what is generating the actual error message? Any other interesting to be seen in the error message? Anything there to make it worthwhile for you to capture a screen shot and post it so we can see the message and pop-up window??
3) Can you re-create the problem? Next time it happens [post=740652]look at this post/thread[/post] to capture your Windows Event Log and attach it your next post. There might be something interesting evidence left behind in it

Sounds tho it's getting to one of:
=> A faulty device (e.g. the printer itself)
=> A faulty hub or
=> Faulty USB ports

Have you tested without using any hubs??? (plug the printer directly into computer USB port)
=> Don't attach ANY external hubs
=> Test printer on EACH computer usb port
=> Are you mouse/keyboard USB? While i would guess they're not the problem source, would be best if you could attach them using non-USB ports to be certain (e.g. get a USB-PS/2 adapter, if you have PS/2 ports, for the connector runs about $2-3 USD)

Also, Open Device Manager, look at each hub under USB
Rt click Properties->Power. You'll the each USB device listed AND the amount of power drawn by each device and total power usage. Anything interesting in the Power info for each usb hub on your computer (when reporting tell us info and if hub says Generic Hub or Root Hub)

Hello All

Please note that this power surge issue nothing to do with windows service packs.

Its typically hardware problem. Its great pleasure that windows tells us through error notification.

Basically when plugged in usb devices try to suck more power than required , you can get this error messages.
Likewise, If rated output of usb ports supplied by mobo fluctuates beyond the acceptable range , windows either warn you about that or shutdown that device or reset the computer suddenly in order to avoid any further malfuctioning or damages.Otherwise it leads to permenent hardware damage.
Best solution is to avoid use of mobo usb ports and use powered USB (External powered) hub.
Also if possible use front panel usb ports which are getting power supply directly through SMPS.

Regards
Mahesh

the Setup manual for HP psc 2410, item #6 says "Connect the power Cord" and
shows the connection to the wall A/C outlet.

this device is not intended to be USB Powered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back