President Biden will reportedly meet with Cook, Nadella, and other tech leaders to discuss...

midian182

Staff member
In brief: President Joe Biden is reportedly set to meet with the heads of Apple, Microsoft, Amazon, and other tech giants tomorrow (Wednesday, August 25) to discuss recent ransomware attacks and cybersecurity issues.

Bloomberg reports that Tim Cook, Satay Nadella, and Amazon CEO Andy Jassy are the big names attending tomorrow afternoon's meeting. They could be joined by Google's Sundar Pichai, who has been invited, along with execs from IBM, and JPMorgan Chase. Southern Company CEO Tom Fanning will also be attending.

According to a senior official familiar with the event, the surge in online attacks against US organizations over the last year will be the main topic of conversation. Top of the agenda will likely be the attack on Kaseya's VSA system management platform by the Russia-based REvil hacker gang, DarkSide's ransomware hit on the Colonial Pipeline, and the massive SolarWinds hack that affected both companies and government agencies alike.

With many of the groups responsible for these incidents based in Russia, Biden has repeatedly called on President Vladimir Putin to do more to curtail the hackers. POTUS has threatened US retaliation against Russia if the criminals continue to act with impunity. Biden even warned that the cyberattacks could lead to a "real shooting war."

Bloomberg writes that the meeting could examine the online security of critical US infrastructure, such as banking, energy, and water utility sectors, and the industries' collaboration with the government. The execs are also "likely to discuss how software can drive better security in the supply chain."

It appears that Biden has a better relationship with tech leaders than his predecessor. Donald Trump held several meetings with Silicon Valley's elite during his time in office and formed the American Technology Council. However, many CEOs spoke out against him during his election run and presidency—Peter Thiel was one of the few to show support publicly—while pulling out of the Paris Agreement and Trump's immigration policies brought their collective ire. Trump was also very vocal about his dislike of Jezz Bezos.

Permalink to story.

What disturbs me is that several of these have actively applied to government contracts for very high security "events" yet they just can't seem to find a way to defeat the hackers and ransomware attackers. Not sure I would want to trust them with access to our greatest secrets & methods. Contracts need to be based upon past performance, not unsupported future promises and penalties need to be more severe so they cannot be written down as a "cost of doing business" ......

What disturbs me is that several of these have actively applied to government contracts for very high security "events" yet they just can't seem to find a way to defeat the hackers and ransomware attackers. Not sure I would want to trust them with access to our greatest secrets & methods. Contracts need to be based upon past performance, not unsupported future promises and penalties need to be more severe so they cannot be written down as a "cost of doing business" ......
I agree, I love how when it matters the most they get someone or a company with no experience But when you try to apply for a simple job they don't hire you because of lack of experience lol.

Possible immediate reason for this meeting is the state department being hacked (hasn't been confirmed though): https://gizmodo.com/the-state-department-has-reportedly-been-hacked-1847536299

If the state dept is having trouble verifying who is left behind in Afghanistan after this and other hacks, and after destroying passports and other documentation at the embassy in Afghanistan, they can always turn to the Taliban for verification >

https://theintercept.com/2021/08/17/afghanistan-taliban-military-biometrics/

Trump was unable to understand the adage "you will attract more bears with honey" as he thought he knew it all and "only he" could fix EVERYTHING. What a joke.

Trump negotiated the current "agreement" with the Taliban - because only he could. 🤣

If anyone is interested, I suggest watching the last two or three seasons of "Homeland" - rather foretelling, IMO.

Another interesting take on the current world situation:

Biden: Well gents, first, thanks for giving our boys from the NSA, CIA and FBI full access to all that juicy data on your servers, but your country needs more!

We now need full access to all their phones and we will use the fool proof justification "think about the children!" and we are golden.

By the way, here are some juicy government contracts with blank checks in it.

G0d bless the tax payers!

Trump was unable to understand the adage "you will attract more bears with honey" as he thought he knew it all and "only he" could fix EVERYTHING. What a joke.

Trump negotiated the current "agreement" with the Taliban - because only he could. 🤣

If anyone is interested, I suggest watching the last two or three seasons of "Homeland" - rather foretelling, IMO.

Another interesting take on the current world situation:
He agreed to it, and I agree we should of left. But he didn't agree to do it overnight like Biden and leave over billion dollars worth of technology equipment and military weapons. On top of that, he left Americans there also. Because he just woke up one day and said we are pulling out Right Now! LoL. Dude you needed a plan and transition to remove everything we left. SMH. That's the joke.

I think we all agree we should of left Afghanistan. But it could've been done better and this is going to and is already hurting Biden.

He agreed to it, and I agree we should of left. But he didn't agree to do it overnight like Biden and leave over billion dollars worth of technology equipment and military weapons. On top of that, he left Americans there also. Because he just woke up one day and said we are pulling out Right Now! LoL. Dude you needed a plan and transition to remove everything we left. SMH. That's the joke.
Ah, I guess you are privy to top secret information and you would know? Got it! 🤣 If anyone did have access to that level of information, they would not be posting it here, would they?
I think we all agree we should of left Afghanistan. But it could've been done better and this is going to and is already hurting Biden.
I'd say we should have never gone into Afghanistan in the first place. But, the US failed to notice the lessons taught to Russia, among others.

With the attention span of people these days, this so called failure will be forgotten in no time. And don't forget, Biden's approval rating now is better than Trump's best ever was.

I'd rather have Biden than a "you won because you cheated" whiner who would have installed himself as the US new dictator had he been allowed to get away with tactics that Joseph Goebbels taught Hitler.

IMO, there was no getting out of Afghanistan without making a complete mess of it. From Trump's "I am the only one who can fix anything" attitude, he would have ignored his "advisors" (aka - a$$ kissers) anyway, and likely have done much worse.

The real joke was US Hubris and going into Afghanistan in the first place. How many so called World Powers thought that they could tame Afghanistan and failed, and something made W think that the US would do any better? :facepalm:

Last edited:
The Biden ineptocracy is good for one thing, bringing America to it's knees with bad decisions and poor policy. His brain is shot, it wasn't any good to start with since his credentials are "47 years of politics". Even Obama didn't like quid pro quo Joe: "leave it to Joe to fvck things up". JOE IS PITIFUL!

It is always entertaining when you realize the website you love, affirmingly, lean to one side or another.

Usually it will only slide to the bottom, like in every other site. We'll see how long TS could stay relevant then.

Software would being more secure if focus were simple quality instead of adding emojis, useless social media features, and unneeded UI redesigns. I would not trusting my infrastructures to those company.

Back