Problem accessing three websites

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all - I'm new here and would really need your help. I'm having trouble accessing three websites: Beverly Hills Library, ESPN & World Series of Poker. I've never had problems accessing these sites especially espn.com but for the last couple of days, I've been getting that IE message: "IE could not open the page."

Thanks much

could be a browser hijack click on the red text in my sig and post back with the 3 logs

Hijackthis
combofix
MBAM

could be a browser hijack click on the red text in my sig and post back with the 3 logs

Hijackthis
combofix
MBAM
Thanks for you quick response, xxdanielxx. The problem is I couldn't open the "See these instructions on how to disable some of the more common real time monitoring programmes." Is it possible to post the instructions?

Thanks

Right-click the McAfee icon by your system clock.
Click Personal Firewall.
Click Disable.
A dialog box appears. Click Yes.
The McAfee icon turns black in color until you re-enable McAfee Personal Firewall Plus.

It's interesting that whenever there's an internet issue, the first thing most people
do to solve the problem is to disable the firewall and stop all A/V programs. OUCH!

Apparently the thought process is something like "may be xxx is getting in the way so I'll stop it
to test the results
". Sometimes stopping xxx may actually work as in the case of a
MS Hotfix KB951748 impacting ZoneAlarm -- but it is rare.

One of the websites noted ( World Series of Poker ) sparked my interest, as Poker,
YouTube, MySpace, and torrent download sites are major exposures.
So now disabling all protection tools, all sites have a free pass at the system and
any personal data on the system can be gleaned.

Suggestion: Work the symptom
The Symptom "I've been getting that IE message: 'IE could not open the page.' "
indicates a tcp timeout to the site.
1- Can the poster ping the domain name?
2- Can you perform dns lookup (run -> cmd /k nslookup www.google.com) ?

I typically don't disable the firewall - but real time monitoring should be disabled before running certain tools as they will conflict

@daniel - For Mcafee this is what I do

Disable McAfee VirusScan ScriptStopper feature by:
  1. Right-mouse click the McAfee VirusScan icon in the system tray.
  2. Select VirusScan then click Options.
  3. Click the Advanced button and then click the ScriptStopper tab.

Note: McAfee VirusScan 10 users, click the Exploits tab.
  4. Make sure Enable ScriptStopper (recommended) option is de-selected.
  5. Click OK and then click OK to complete disabling McAfee ScriptStopper feature.

--------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back