Problem with formating new hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello and please help,
My hard drive crashed so I bought another one... (old size =WD160) (new size WD320). Upon installing the XP pro OS on the new HD it was installed it on the j: drive and not on the c: drive as I expected. I believe (from reading other posts) that I can install it again and make it go to the c: drive. My question is how to I get the first install (on j:drive) removed or deleted before trying the reinstall on the c:. Please accept my apologies should this be a stupid question as I am a Senior citizen with limited comp. experience..
Tailwinds

If the installation was a success, just not the drive letter you want, you can easily change the drive letter in disk management(right click "My Computer"---drop down pick manage--new screen --find disk management---double click---find the J drive and right click for a new drop down that has "change drive letter" as a choice...
First select the drive letter in the box---remove it---then click add letter and pick "C" or disk (0). Hit ok and your done.

windsock,
For future reference, If you had USB drives etc. connected when you did your istall that is probably why it picked J:

Thanks for your response

I believe that the printer was connected via USB port, but that should have been the only thing.. I will disconnect that when I'm ready to reinstall MS Office Pro again.. Do you have any suggestions as to how to remove the existing XP Pro OS from the J: drive prior to trying to install it on c: disk again ? Should it not be removed first ?
Thanks again

I don't understand. What is the objection to changing the drive letter rather than repeating the install?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back