Problem with GeForce 7800 GS OC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just updated my video card from a 5200 to a 7800. When I turn the system on, the monitor won't display anything and then goes into power save mode. All the lights and fans are going, but there's no beeps or anything. I have the power supply hooked into the card.

When I switched the cards back, I got a message saying the settings had changed and something about the settings being set to overclock, so I'm guessing the slot on the mother board works fine. I'm wondering if it could be the monitor.

Specs:
2 GB RAM
500w power supply
Vista

Did you have your old card overclocked? If so reset all the values you had overclocked and try again. Another option is to load optimized defaults for your bios.

Also did you uninstall the old video card drivers before taking the old card out and putting the new one in?

Take a look here http://www.driverheaven.net/windows-xp-2k-radeon-display-drivers/107447-uninstalling-installing-ati-drivers-properly.html step by step guide on how to uninstall drivers properly then using Driver Cleaner in safe mode to clear out the old drivers. That guide is for ATI drivers so if you have a different card. Just replace ATI with the manufacturer of your card.

Also after you have ran driver cleaner in safe mode before closing it..click tools -> Cab cleaner and clean the driver.cab and the sp.cab files.

You can get driver cleaner pro (the free version) here http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=745

Thanks for the help. I did disable the old card. I was thinking about switching the BIOS to go to the AGP, which I figured it would do automatically when the PCI wasn't there anymore.

Is cleaning out the old drivers something that would prevent my old driver from working in case this doesn't work? I don't have a graphics card on my mother board so I want to be safe about things.

even if you clean out your old drivers you can still use your old card if you need to. Windows has a generic default display driver it uses until you install better ones.

So if you remove the old drivers windows defaults to it's generic driver to display things so your card will work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back