Problem with HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
i have reinstalled windows XP, and 2 HDD connected - Samsung HD403LJ CT100-13 (400 GB) - this is set as primary HDD, cause here is new windows installed, and 200 GB maxtor, where is old windows - this HDD is only for copy some data to new HDD. So, everything was O.K. for about 4 days, then my windows crashed, and when i reset my PC, before windows start, there was a warning: "Pri Master Hard Disk: S.M.A.R.T. Status BAD, Backup and Replace, press F1 to Resume." So when i pressed F1, windows stared, but when i click somewhere on icon, desktop or Start button, everything jammed and i cant do anything. But when i set maxtor with old windows as primary HDD, and run control and repair that samsung HDD, everything seemed O.K., and i can normally open it and look at data on it. I tried reset motherboard battery, but it does nothing. Can you help me please with that? thank you, and sorry for my english :)

Pri Master Hard Disk: S.M.A.R.T. Status BAD
Means the disk is faulty
But, I too have seen where a HardDrive may report as faulty, but is only a jumper configuration issue!

In any case, run a Drive Diagnostics on it

now i have not win xp (prof.) install CD...but when i will have it, wont be easier to complete reinstall it again?
so, its problem with HDD or windows?

so why you posting here links for windows if its only HDD config. problem? And why it was OK for about 4 days (?) and then windows crashed, since then is this problem.

I said detach (remove) the faulty HardDrive (suspected faulty!) then run a Repair (or clean install) on the good HardDrive

ie. Only one is faulty (We haven't confirmed if it is a setup jumper issue yet)

That's why !

I cant and i dont want to install win to good HDD (maxtor), cause its FULL. Thats why i bought new HDD. I dont want do anything with that HDD.
Is the new HDD damaged or something? when i format it and install windows again, will it be O.K.?

ok, do it the other way around

Take out the full drive
Install the new drive
Install Windows (clean, ie not Repair)

Doing that will prove if there is any problems (with the drive)

Please post back then (after you do the install, when you get the CD !)

That's all for now.

when i format it and install windows again, will it be O.K.?

No, but you wanted to do that!

I said disconnect one HardDrive (ie take it out of the box <- that's all I've said all the way along!)

Then Repair, or format (whichever, it's up to you)
Then test

Reply back then, not now!

So, i formatted that 400 gb samsung, and began installation of windows xp pro. That "low color no quality blue-yellow" first installation was O.K., but when it started that normal "high color win xp installation in steps", i inserted CD again, but nothing happened. i let it be for about 30 minutes, but nothing happened. No installation or configuration started. And that disk have always status BAD. Need i new HDD?

If that was the only HardDrive plugged in (and it had better had been :) )
Then Yes, it would seem to be faulty.

You can confirm this by downloading the bootable CD Drive Diagnostics (or search your HardDrive manufactures website for the Drive Diagnostic downloadable, bootable disk.

When i installed windows for 1st time, i have connected both HDDs. I only selected samsung as primary and select it for win install HDD. But now - i disconnect maxtor, and the windows screen doesnt appear. Only black screen, and nothing happening. I connected it again, and again - black screen (after motherboard loads, ram check and that warning about HDD). What i have to do now...?

and that warning about HDD

I think part of the problem here, is understanding what you are saying.
So I will, again, just tell you what to do.

Connect 1 HardDrive only
Disconnect the data cable of the other HardDrive, at the Motherboard end
Put the Windows CD in
Start the computer from the Windows CD
Remove the Partition <-- There is an option to remove the current Partition
Contine to set up Windows normally

Does it fault.? Yes/No?
If No, Hooray! Now swap HardDrives, and do the same thing on the 2nd one.
If Yes, then it sounds like it may be faulty. Please download a "Drive Diagnostic Test" to confirm

So what did the "Drive Diagnostic Test" state?
OK? Not OK?
If OK, then it must be something else (like HardDrive data cable, or even faulty CPU)
If Not OK, Then we have found the fault. The HardDrive.

Maybe in your reply, you could write in point form. ie:
I plugged in one drive only (only 1 HardDrive data cable plugged in)
I started install of Windows
I removed the Partition
I continued install of Windows
etc etc etc......

Otherwise is there anyone else there, with clear English that can help in a reply from you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back