Problem with VLC portable app

learninmypc

I have 700 mb's of tunes on a flashdrive I wanted to play at a friends place & so I installed the http://portableapps.com/ portable version of VLC on the same flashdrive & it worked on mine yet when I tried it on his pc, it didn't & he said it was because he don't have VLC on his pc.
Confused, I removed it from my pc & sure enough the portable VLC didn't work. Why??

Bad install of the portable. it is accessing resource on the installed version on the PC.

You have the right approach;
  • uninstall the PC version
  • download the portable and move it to a flashdrive
  • try that version.
if good, copy it to the other FD

Ok, did as you said but it didn't work like it does on the pc. Maybe its not supposed to, I'll continue to tinker with it. :)

Portable may not be exactly like the PC - - question is does it run at all?

@Siavash , are you suggesting that from experience or not & did you read this thread? Just curious. I've had that program in the past but for reasons I don't remember, I got rid of it. :)

@learninmypc Nope, I was just passing by but couldn't miss the opportunity to increase my post count :D Joking aside, I've used Audacious for about 2 years on Linux and was pretty happy with that. It was pretty lightweight and capable of playing popular music formats; just switched to Amarok lately because of better KDE integration.

The Windows version is a portable (no installation required) 20MB zip file, after extraction head into the "bin" folder and run the "audacious.exe" executable to enjoy your musics. audacious-3.6.1-win32.zip

Ok, but first of all, the purpose of this thread is/was to find out why a portable app don't work like it is supposed to do. I've used FF portable on same computer at my friends place & it worked fine.
In my opinion, I should be able to use VLC on his pc even thou he don't have it. So no, I can't download Audacios on his just to try it out. But thanks for the thought :)

Back