Problematic graphic card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FIGHISSIMO

Hi everyone there!I've already solved a very serious problem with the precious help of a person that responded to me to my post in another section of this wonderful site.I hope this happens again now...
I've recently upgraded my pc hardware.I changed motherboard, graphic card and memories.Since then I cannot play a game anymore.I can do almost everything but when I try to play a game some times the pc shuts down or even in the introduction clip of the game!
I searched the net and I found and downloaded 3DMark06.I run it and immediately after 30-40 seconds my pc shut down.I run 2-3 more times and once it didn't shut down but it rebooted.So a minidump file was created.I have done a clean installation (XP PRO SP3) in another partition and I run the test again.Same things happened.I run it 2 or 3 times again and once it rebooted so another minidumpfile was created.I have the most recent drivers of the gpu installed.
I've already run a Prime95 (32bit) - 25.11 test as well for 8 hours and 40 min. to exclude that there is a problem with the cpu, the memories and/or the mobo.My memories are also tested with memtest and everything is ok.
Is the problem the gpu for sure or could it be something else?What else can I do to be 100% sure that the gpu is the problem?
My pc characteristics are: ASUS P5Q DELUXE, CPU 6300 1, 86 GHZ, 4 X 1 GB RAM CORSAIR 800 HZ, VGA GT220 ASUS 1 GB, PSU CORSAIR 850 WATT., TV CARD AVERMEDIA, 4 HARD DISCS (2X 1,5 TB SEAGATE, 1X 500 GB WD & 1X 500 GB SEAGATE, MOUSE CYBER SNYPA STINGER, KEYBOARD Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 Greek, ROUTER THOMSON TG585).My operation system is windows xp pro sp3 and is installed in one of the 3 partitions of the WD hard disc.

Are your GPU drivers up to date? It certainly seems to be a gpu problem, go to control panel and system and navigate to device manager. Under display devices see if your graphics card is working correctly by right clicking your card and select properties.

Thanks for your response.As I said before I have the latest drives of the gpu.I've checked the graphic card from the device manager and it says that it works just fine.If someone can figure out what a minidump file says I can send two of them here.One from the installation that I use now and the other from the other clear installation on another partition that I created just for for running the test.

Yes Arris, I have reinstalled my operating system after changing my motherboard.I have done a clear installation of the operating system in another partition too.

Do you have the means to have your PSU tested? or have a multitester/multimeter? the shutting down when the GPU is put under load can be a symptom of a faulting PSU or a bad connection to it.
you should post your minidump file as well.

I haven't tested my PSU because I don't know how.I don't think there is a software, or am I wrong.I forgot to say that my PSU is one of the upgrades too.It's a corsair 850 Watt.
http://www.corsair.com/products/tx/default.aspx The yellow one...
I'm sending 2 minidum files here.They are from the installation that I'm using now.

Attachments

• MINIDUMP FILES FROM C.zip
    29.3 KB · Views: 2
And I'm sending here the minidump file from the installation of another partition.

Attachments

• Mini061310-01.dmp
    96 KB · Views: 0
I had a look at one of the minidumps. I assume the error is the same in the other dumps.

Your nVidia driver crashes.
nv4_disp.dll crashes with STOP error 0xEA "THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER".

Basically the system is looping waiting for a response from the driver.

If you google for the driver name and the error description you'll find many cases of this problem with a variety of reasons and fixes.

It could be a hardware problem, some BIOS setting (PCI Latency, memory speed), write-combining in the graphics card's properties, and who knows what else.

Or it could be software-related.

A few years back I had the same problem with the Outpost firewall.
Its resident module used to hook the nVidia driver causing the crash. I got around it by excluding all the nVidia files from hooking/checking.

You don't seem to have the Outpost firewall but you could have something else that checks the driver.
Make sure you exclude anything nVidia from all the realtime scanners (firewall and/or AV) you have installed.

Good luck.

kanenas thank you too for your response.It was very interesting.I don't think there is a problem with the driver because I have done a clean installation on a partition of a hard disc with the latest driver of the gpu just to exclude there is a problem with the drivers.So as you said and as I think maybe it's a problematic graphic card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back