Problems after fresh Vista installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meeks

I just recently updated my computer from XP to Vista.

For the most part, looks and works just fine. Yet when in games or watching something, the resources spike from like, 10% to about 80%+. Could the RAM be a part of the issue? I've got 2GB, and works just fine on my computer at work. My video card is 512mb, so that's fine. Any suggestions on how to resolve this?

IF the spikes are momentary you likely have update apps that are kicking in and then out.

Are you firewalled and routered?

Yes I'm firewalled and through a router. I'll try updating all the programs that are doing this and give that a shot. Any further suggestions would help as well.

Set auto-updates for everything but MS$ programs off and make it a habit to update on a specific day and time weekly or bi-weekly.

I just recently updated my computer from XP to Vista.

For the most part, looks and works just fine. Yet when in games or watching something, the resources spike from like, 10% to about 80%+. Could the RAM be a part of the issue? I've got 2GB, and works just fine on my computer at work. My video card is 512mb, so that's fine. Any suggestions on how to resolve this?

I have a customer that bought a top-of-the-line HP with Vista and it's still slow in places. He has 4GB memory too!!

I used to work as a high tech engineer and at one company we developed an OS (it was for embedded systems) Let me tell, you I know what the problems with Vista are all about. MS reworked the memory management and file system in Vista. It takes a HUGE effort over a long time to work out the "kinks". The successor to Vista will be much faster and optimal.

For now, you'll likely encounter this until the successor to Vista comes out. When the will be is hard to say. It's takes soooooo much effort to get scores of competing processes all working seamlessly. More memory won't hurt but isn't necessarily the answer.

Best,
-- Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back