Problems in connection between routers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
This is my first post and I would like to say hello to every member of this forum. I am facing some problems regarding connection of two negear router. I have one ADSL Modem Router DG834G that I am using in my office. I am also using internet through RJ11 port of this router. Now I want to connect another WGR614 router. I am not able to connect the second router with the first one.

Routers generally do not want to work with each other. If you are simply trying to add more PC's to get on the first router for Internet and/or network access, what you really need is a switch.

ok, rj11 is the phone line and says you have a DSL connected modem.

NetCablesPlus suggestion on a switch is right on, but you can make the second
router ACT as a switch; here's the wiring layout you need
Code:
modem ----(wan)RouterA(lan)---------(lan)RouterB(otherLans)---other systems
Just ignore the WAN side connection on routerB and set it to NOT provide DHCP by;
  1. disconnect B from A
  2. using a wired connection to B,
  3. login the admin page on B
  4. set dhcp off
  5. save the settings
disconnect the system you just used from routerB.

Now reconnect A->B, wait 30 seconds, reconnect the system to routerB

You now have three ports from routerA and another three on routerB :)

Thank Everybody for the reply. Now what type of cable should I use if I want to connect the two neatgear routers without switch? Is it straight or crossover ? Plz reply.

Normal 'patch cable'. The sole use for a crossover is connecting system-to-system.

This is a minor point in the networking lexicon, but I just wanted to mention it. There are two types of Ethernet Patch Cables: straight-through and crossover. A 'Patch Cable', in general, simply means that it is a cable with some sort of connector on each end and it can be used to 'patch' together two devices on a network. There can be copper Ethernet patch cables, fiber optic patch cables, etc. I have even heard of USB cables being referred to as USB patch cables. Now, it turns out that people in the networking industry often use the term 'patch cable' when referring to a copper, Ethernet straight-through cable with RJ45 connectors on each end. But you might need to be a little more precise when speaking to a manufacturer or distributor about a cable that you would like to purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back