Problems installing a SATA HDD with a 20 gb IDE HDD as primary drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm am having a problem getting WindowsXP to detect my newly installed WD 250GB SATA Hard drive. I have all the latest patches/fixes/upadates and service pack 2 installed. The drive shows up in BIOS but when Windows loads up, the drive does not show up in My Computer. It's also not present in Disk Manager nor Device Manager. I have a MSI K9A2CF mobo with integrated SATA controller ports with all the latest drivers installed. What could be the problem? If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.

rjessup1 said:
I'm am having a problem getting WindowsXP to detect my newly installed WD 250GB SATA Hard drive. I have all the latest patches/fixes/upadates and service pack 2 installed. The drive shows up in BIOS but when Windows loads up, the drive does not show up in My Computer. It's also not present in Disk Manager nor Device Manager. I have a MSI K9A2CF mobo with integrated SATA controller ports with all the latest drivers installed. What could be the problem? If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.

Update your driver chipset under Windows. You get that from the MOBO (motherboard maker) Also you need to install the XP drivers for your SATA RAID which should be it's own manager software. MSI uses this. Without it under XP you won't see your SATA drive. Also the BIOS should have RAID and SATA enabled. XP and 2003 Server won't show up unless you enable and install these managers under Windows client or server. When you boot up your system does it go to a different screen showing your RAID or SATA drives installed. If it doesn't then you have to go back to the BIOS and enable it.

tipstir said:
Update your driver chipset under Windows. You get that from the MOBO (motherboard maker) Also you need to install the XP drivers for your SATA RAID which should be it's own manager software. MSI uses this. Without it under XP you won't see your SATA drive. Also the BIOS should have RAID and SATA enabled. XP and 2003 Server won't show up unless you enable and install these managers under Windows client or server. When you boot up your system does it go to a different screen showing your RAID or SATA drives installed. If it doesn't then you have to go back to the BIOS and enable it.

Thanks so much I put in my drivers disk I got with my motherboard and after a little playing I finally got it to show up then after relogging 4 times partitioning and formatting and then partitioning it again it finally worked!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back