Problems with Compaq Presario

bmyzer101

Got a compaq presario 3060 US. Operating system XP Pro. ATI Radeon Graphics and Soundmax sound card. Plugged head phones into it and sound stopped working with or without headphones plugged in. Reloaded XP Pro Now no sound at all. JBL speakers. Any ideas or similar experiences?

If you've done a fresh install of Windows XP Professional you will need to also install the audio drivers.

They're available from the support section of Compaq's website. Head to the support area and enter your model details to be shown the correct drivers.

Yea I installed all the drivers. I do have two degrees in computer science so I do know that drivers need to be installed. I was hoping I would find someone that had the same problem that could tell me that maybe the sound was burned up, or that maybe there is a reoccuring problem with these machines or something.

Your first post implied that you had done a fresh install of Windows and it now no longer worked > 99% of the time this problem is driver related, whether its lack of install, or badly installed drivers.

Is device manager listing anything with yellow warnings? I presume given your reply that you have already installed successfully all required additional drivers?

I'm really not sure why you felt the need to tell me you had two computer science degrees though. :confused:

I'm really not sure why you felt the need to tell me you had two computer science degrees though. :confused:

Just exactly what I thought, when I read what he said about that, i was like .... what the?

Anwyay, again what Leeky said, its mostly driver related, but its not only in that case, sometime the plugs on motherboard has broken connection from the solder points when you unplug and plug in the jacks in there way too much, very same situation for integrated video on motherboard if you gotta bring in your lan machine from home to party back and forth often.

1. Driver related - Try and get the most updated drivers by searching the Google. E.g. SoundMax 5.1.24.2502 for a specific product, you gotta look it up to make sure it is compatible with your pc; and then try and search for updated revision of the driver.

2. Hardware related - Again what Leeky said, its mostly driver related, but its not only in that case, sometime the plugs on motherboard has broken connection from the solder points when you unplug and plug in the jacks in there way too much, very same situation for integrated video on motherboard if you gotta bring in your lan machine from home to party back and forth often, and when the video port get too loosey, you end up buying the new video card, or probably new motherboard.

3. Software related - I'm not sure if this is in the case, but did you actually updated your DirectX? There's latest redist for XP on Microsoft Download site.

4. BIOS related - Its a rare case that the battery loses their last charge and accidentally reset the BIOS back to default, hence the audio settings in there.

Good luck man :)

Yeah. Tried reloading drivers before and after Windows reinstall. Didn't figure it was drivers since the thing was working before the earbuds were plugged in. Got upgraded everything when I reloaded drivers after fresh windows install. The only thing I haven't done is reflash the BIOS. Gonna give it a try and see what happens. Thanks Leeky and Bushwacker. The reason I posted about my degrees is the labels on tech spot are misleading. I'm labeled as a newcomer in training but I have been working with computers since the days of TRaSh 80's. No disrespect meant. Just don't work alot with Compaqs because basically I think they are trash and try to advoid them. This is a friends computer.

Back