Problems with my Toshiba Satellite

I have a Toshiba Satellite L455-S5000. I've used it for many years and all the sudden when I opened it up, the log in screen froze. I couldn't do anything so I hard shut it down. (by just holding in the power button) Now, whenever I try to boot it back up, it gives me an error message saying "pxe-e61 media test failure check cable". I've googled it numerous times but found nothing. I also tried calling the Toshiba Help Center but they wanted to charge me for the call so I hung up with them. Any ideas on how to fix this problem would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Jim

>pxe-e61 media test failure check cable

this msg says it is attempting to boot using the NIC interface instead of the HD - - not good.
The question is if the HD partition is good &/or if it is bootable.

When I lost my Toshiba, it would not even run the POST so it was a bios/mb issue.
You need to get this drive attached to a good system so it can be analyze.

As a Toshiba technician, I can vouch for jobeard's suggestion like any suspected faulty HDD. If you have a spare machine available, get the drive out and connect it up and see if you can access anything.

You might also check if you can get into the BIOS (Should be F2 on startup for this model) once in, you'll be able to see if the BIOS can read your HDD at all. However like jobeard said, your boot order has either changed (Fixable by resetting bios settings to default) or it can't detect the HDD so is proceeding to network to try and find something to boot from.

Back