Problems with new headset

Hamfish

Hey people
I recently bought a set of tritton 720+ headset and it is not working well. Firstly there is a constant static sound(its very soft so I dont mind if it cant be resolved and it is only noticeable when there is no other sound playing). secondly I have connected it through my optical cable port and the sound isnt working when I set the default sound to the optical port.
Any help will be appreciated
Cheers

A couple questions to try to help resolve this problem:
What are you trying to use this headset with (computer, stereo, console, etc)?
If computer - what do you have it connected to (motherboard port or a sound card)?
If motherboard connected, what is the make and model of motherboard?
Have you tried to use the headset on another device that has an optical port (ie. Stereo, TV, console, etc) to make sure that the headset it not defective?
Did you buy the headset new or used?

Hey I am using it with my pc. The motherboard is a asus sabertooth 990fx r2 I haven't tried it with any other device yet but I will check tomorrow. I think that the issue is software related but that could be completely wrong
Thanks

Ok I worked out whats wrong. The decoder box has something wrong with it because when I connected it to my xbox via the optical cable it didnt work. And on the xbox it wont work at all because the optical cable is the only part that connects it on the xbox whilst on the pc you can connect it via the usb only. What I am thinking is that no surround sound comes through when only connected via the optical cable.
Ill return it and get a new one

That is probably the best thing you could do. I have seen a couple decoder boxes go bad, or come doa. Hopefully the new one will be better. Glad to here you figured it out though.

Xbox has optical audio out? Since when?

Also, I don't know if your MOBO supports output in Dolby Digital Live, and if the headphone supports DDL decoding. I'm gonna go with no. Therefore, connect to your PC via USB, otherwise you won't have 'surround sound'.

It's the easiest solution.

Back