Problems with new ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi i need help,
I have a conroe 1333 d667 motherboard and i just purchased 2 x 2gb pc2-5300 ddr2 sdram memory sticks. They both work individually or with one of my old 1 gb rams but when i put both the new ones in my computer doesn't load, or sometimes it starts to load and one time it did load then crashed to a blue screen. My old memory is 2 x 1gb pc2-5300 U-DIMM/CL5...Thats what it says on it.
Have i got the wrong memory or do i need to do something in the bios?
Thanks!

Slow and Steady Wins the Race, or Does It.....?

Just for the record the new RAM you're toying with is fairly slow for the board it's in. I don't know if that has anything to do with the problem you're having, but it's worth mentioning.

Here is a guide to upgrading RAM; https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic47210.html Read it through and see if it helps you.

The only diagnoses I can come up thus far, wrong speed (?), Dimms in the wrong slots, or possibly timing or voltage issues.

If you need help beyond this, please feel free to post back with any additional information you can gather.

Hi, thanks for the quick response! I think personally that one of the rams may be faulty but not sure. I've also read that maybe it can't take the maximum ram (4GB)? If you could advise me, what ram specs should i get e.g brand and type and a better speed? Thanks!

Hi, thanks for the quick response! I think personally that one of the rams may be faulty but not sure. I've also read that maybe it can't take the maximum ram (4GB)? If you could advise me, what ram specs should i get e.g brand and type and a better speed? Thanks!

Using a 32Bit OS about 3GB of RAM will be usable. Some boards will ignore the excess, (4GB installed), some others will issue a refusal to boot.
If you're using 32 bit XP 2GB is all that you normally would need. That concept usually draws fire, in spite of a bunch of literature on the subject around the net.

Should you insist on installing more than 2GB, a balanced approach to a maximum of 3GB is best. IE: a 1GB & a 512MB DIMM in each channel for a total of 3GB. This assumes a dual channel board.

Higher performance RAM is certainly available, but it usually requires tuning the voltage and timing in BIOS, since much of it is higher than stock voltage and it won't POST with default settings.

To test the RAM you already have, download this program: http://www.memtest86.com/download.html You want the memtest86 V 3.4 Iso (zip) file. Burn it to a CD, and then run it the way their website explains.

This is an ISO file and must be burned as an > IMAGE < file, NOT a data file or it won't work. Nero offers this burning option, and that is the only program I'm familiar with. Your favorite burning suite probably offers this option also.

After reading the specs on your board it appears that I spoke too soon about the speed of the memory. Most boards with a FSB of 1333Mhz can accept DDR800 or DDR1066, Asrock says no to that, so you would probably be better off with the RAM you have or a maximum of DDR667.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back