Problems with windows 7 installed on a dynamic disk

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have problems with booting.
Everything happened when I shrinked a volume. And created a new simple volme in Computer management.
I have 2 windows installed on this dynamic disk. And none on the basic disk.

Can someone suggest me what to do to boot correctly?

I have atached a screenshot of my situation.

Attachments

• hdd2.jpg
    hdd2.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 10
You have partition those two TB drives with a lot of partitions but. You have the boot record is screwy now.

I need you to do a few things:

1. Under 7 after you click on the orb (flag) if you have the word computer listed to the right side of the menu.
2. Right click on Computer then on Properties.
3. Then click on Advance System Settings
4. Click on Startup and Recovery then on Settings

Now System Startup? What does it say?

Should say Windows 7
Make sure those two boxes are checked off and both should say 30 seconds.

5. Click okay
6. Click on Environment Variables

Look at System Variables
Path
Should look like this:

%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\

Look at
Windir C:\Windows Do you see this or where you have your partition drive set for Windows 7 OS?

7. If all look the same they click on cancel if not then you have to click on edit to fix.
8. Exit out of the above

9. Press Orb Flag and R key on your keyboard at the sametime
A. Type in: msconfig
B: Click on Boot
C: What does it read?

Should say Windows 7 (C:\Windows): Current OS; Default OS:

D: Check off Safe Boot
E: Change time out to 30 or 60
F: Check make all boot changes permanent

Optional setting in the next step....

G: Also click on Advance Options (Boot Advanced Options)
If you have more than 2-cores then select the cores you have on your CPU. Check that off.
Also Max Memory check off also. Don't enter in the memory though.

I did it twice, but the same problem :(
Any other way?
Or any software to easily convert it?
Even when i install a new windows i dont get any option to delete the dynamic and creat a basic one...

I did it twice, but the same problem :(
Any other way?
Or any software to easily convert it?
Even when i install a new windows i dont get any option to delete the dynamic and creat a basic one...

What's on that Windows 32-bit? Is that XP? Or are you keeping all 32-bit applications stored on that partition.
On your C drive do you see Windows.old?
Also what I had shown you above. If you open a CMD prompt type: path
What happens if you boot the system into Safe mode does it find the right boot folder to load Windows?

Do you see the correct path.
The only other way you can fix this issue is to stick in a OS/Programs HDD into the mix. This HDD would be only for the OS, VRM, Temp and Programs. Only. That's how I've been doing it for years. Whatever you do don't partition the main OS HDD again! Partitions where good when the system BIOS didn't handle larger HDDs or you wanted more than one HDD in a system that only could support two.

You can still keep your partitions but I think the best way is to rebuild the OS onto a drive it's own. YOu just got to much going on these partitions. Something got corrupted. I know there some tools out there you can use to fix the issue. I never got one to do what t hey claim you could do with partitions.

or

Use EasyBCD
Looks like this
http://images.brighthub.com/CE/0/CE0BBFB01F8B25898A32FFABC2CFD6B17B35B48E_large.jpg

Can be found on this site for free
http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

Do let me know how you make out with EasyBCD? Or if you don't want to use that and gone with 3rD HDD?

Thank you again tipstir. Sorry for the late reply but i didnt have my pc.
Now i backed up all the data of the dynamic disk, and trying to delete the partitions.

Only one of them cannot be deleted.

In Disk management. i get the error message:
Windows cannot delete the system volume on disk.

In cmd, i get this:
Virtual Disk Service Error:
Delete is not allowed on the current boot, system, pagefile, crashdump or hibernation volume.

Any sugestion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back