Product Key Code?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RickM

Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to read this message.
Several years ago I installed Microsoft Office XP.
At the time of installation I was asked to type in the Key Code which consisted of 25characters.
This "Key Code" was on the box the software came in.
I put the software CD in a jewel case.
Unfortunetely a few years ago I suffered a house fire that just about destroyed everything from water damage and the software box got water logged and ruined.
I now have no way of knowing what the "Key Code" for the software is so I can reinstall it on another computer.

My question is... was there any place this Key Code was stored in the hard drive during installation ??
I have been going out of my "trees" trying to figure it out.
If one of you "Pro's" can help it will be very much appreciated.
The full program is Microsoft Office XP.
Thank you for your time.

Rick

curiosity has bested me..... Believe when I say, I know first hand what it is like to live through your house burning down, so sorry to hear about that.

I hav just one question... how did your PC survive the water!? :-?

You will find Microsoft sympathetic. Keyfinder will usually work on Office XP, depending on how you install it. Once you have that, you can contact Microsoft with verification of fire, and they will replace your disks for a small fee of about $35... but it is not quickly done.

A better choice is your fire insurance.

curiosity has bested me..... Believe when I say, I know first hand what it is like to live through your house burning down, so sorry to hear about that.

I hav just one question... how did your PC survive the water!? :-?

Hello ... The PC Tower itself was under a table and did not get water dumped on it. The rugs got soaked and water got into the base of the PC.. Totally burned out the BIOS bak up circuit,,, always had to hit F2 at startup.
The PC was like a Timex watch .... it kept on ticken ... a little on the rough side of ticken until it crashed.
The Software box and other boxes were in a closet in another part of the house and everything in that closet got destroyed.
I was told the the house had ONE MILLION gallons of water dumped on the roof.
$40,000 plus loss of items !!!
It was a nightmare.
Rick

Hello ... The PC Tower itself was under a table and did not get water dumped on it. The rugs got soaked and water got into the base of the PC.. Totally burned out the BIOS bak up circuit,,, always had to hit F2 at startup.
The PC was like a Timex watch .... it kept on ticken ... a little on the rough side of ticken until it crashed.
The Software box and other boxes were in a closet in another part of the house and everything in that closet got destroyed.
I was told the the house had ONE MILLION gallons of water dumped on the roof.
$40,000 plus loss of items !!!
It was a nightmare.
Rick

I do not want to cry on anyone's shoulder about my housefire.
You may find this to be unbelievable !!
Get a load on this one here it goes:
I am adding up the total value of items I lost in the fire... I hit the $40,000 + mark and shake my head.
I think of the 60 inch High Def Sony that was only 1 month old.

Seven Days a week I run around from here to there...back and forth
Here comes the interesting part:
I get a bill in the mail from my cable company, I called them up and told them the equipment was destroyed in a major house fire.
They give me the a usual song and dance and say you are all set.
Believe it or not months down the road... it showed up as a negative against my credit score !!:haha:
It's a mean world out there....sometimes

Rick

Thanks for your kind words
Yes I am highest post member here :approve:

Wasn't there some dude "Harold" with like 30K posts?

I only think I saw a couple threads he had posted in a while back that were bumped up for whatever reason.... but I think I also remember he is banned now....

Anyway... Kim helps a lot of people.... Thats why we love Kim :)

I bought my computer from best buy and it didn't come with a OS cd which I'm sure none of them do but if I use the Key Finder and borrow a friends XP cd to reinstall, will my key work? Thanks

If you bought a computer with Windows installed on it, it must come with Windows setup as well, else this would be illegal of best buy.

Please note, that in many new computers an actual Windows setup CD is not supplied
In this case, the computer will have a Recovery partition installed accessed by some startup prompt (like F10 or F12 or some other key) this being legally acceptable

In answering your question.
Yes you can use the same version Windows setup CD as installed and related to your key. But there are many versions of each Windows OS So you need to be sure that it is correct

ok thanks. It did come with a cd but it didn't seem official to me, I believe it read recovery or something. Would that work for installing XP on another computer or no? Also when you say there are different versions of XP, besides home and pro, are there different versions of home and pro? Also what are builds? Thanks

Your multiple questions are slightly off topic (Product Key Code?)
But I will be brief in answering them anyway
You cannot use a Recovery CD on another computer (it won't work!)
There are many different "builds" to each OS . Therefore not all Xp Home CDs will work with all Xp Home keys (as an example)

Best to use the Recovery CD that was intended for your computer

Ok thanks. You know how one thing can lead to another? I like to learn things. I guess you rather me start a new topic?

Within the warranty period of the computer, you can obtain the CD from the manufacturer or seller for an additional fee which averages $28 to $55 depending upon the company. The install is provided on a hidden partition, but they are required by microsoft to make the CD available "within a reasonable time period."
Most companies provide until the last warranty has expired.
HP and Compaq provide a set amount on CD and when those CD's are gone, there are no more.
Gateway sells you the set.
IBM Lenovo provides a CD free + shipping during the warranty period, and charges $52 after warranty expiration. You still need the product ID tag stuck to the bottom of the computer... and that ID varies significantly.
Dell provides under warranty, and charges you after warranty expires. They even update the reinstall CD Service Pack if that has changed since purchase of the computer.
Sony is less cooperative... and I don't know anybody who has been successful at getting the CD... but then I have not seen a lot of Sony laptops.

Good info but I have the cheapest of em all, emachines. I got it back in 06. I plan on upgrading some day soon.

eMachines has the highest failure rate since 2002 of any computer built. Be sure to save your data as most are not repairable, thought the hard drive remains good. They have just been sold for the fourth time... to ACER.

I bought my computer from best buy and it didn't come with a OS cd which I'm sure none of them do but if I use the Key Finder and borrow a friends XP cd to reinstall, will my key work? Thanks
yes you can use another XP disc - provided it is NOT an OEM disk to install windows. But you will need to know the KEY of your current disc. using the same key for more than 1 computer is illegal. So you must use your original, legitiamate key.

find your current key with magical jelly bean finder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back