Proper way to configure RAMs of different speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

WinXPert

If I have 2 RAMs of different speed, let's say one is 533 the other 667 my usual practice is to put the 533 RAM in the first slot and 667 on the next. I'vs read it once on a computer magazine that that is the proper way to configure RAMs. However I would like to know if there is any technical basis on this practice or it is just me following what I've learned on a PC article?

It is never good to mix different type or speed RAM in any Windows computer. All this does is slow down the computers performance. I seriously doubt that it matters what speed module is put in which socket

I know but in our country it's normal to use parts from other PCs in order to build a new one, or buying from surplus shops because they're cheaper. Thanks for the input anyway.

i've never heard of slot placement making a difference for different sticks of memory speed

Also (as far as i know) the only downside
> IF a computer's spec allows non-matched memory sticks in the computer (one much check their specific computer spec)
> THEN all memory sticks will effectively operate at the speed of the slowest stick (553 in your case)

which slot you put the ram in does not matter. What does happen though is that the faster ram will run at the slower ram's speed (533 in your case)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back