PSU advice

LeeLuck

Hi all, i have searched for the info i need but because eveybodies pc is different in some way the answer isnt always apparent.
Basically i think i may need to upgrade my PSU for OC'ing reasons as advice taken from OC'ing peeps so i thought i would start a new thread for others to get a close idea if their system was near my set up.

System specs.

Intel i7 950 LGA1366 (Soon to be OC'ed to 4GHz hopefully)
GA-X58-USB3 Gigabyte mobo
24gig 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance DDR3
Corsair H80 Hydro series CPU Cooler
XFX Radeon 6870 GPU
3x1TB F3 Samsung HDD
Antec300 Case
4 Case Fans controlled via an Aerocool 2000

And the possible weak link.....

CoolMaster Silent Pro 500w PSU

I havent attempted to start OC'ing yet as i want to make sure my system is ready to deal with it so have you got any ideas on what PSU would best suit this system on the assumption i want to try to achieve on OC of around 4GHz.

Thanks for any advice offered.

P.S. one favourite that was mentioned in another thread was the Gigabyte Odin 800 modular PSU but any other ideas are always welcome ;)

No, i dont really play games "BUT" that said if i were to, then i suppose haveing the option would be nice, so...yes, i may crossfire in the future.

Budget, well, if i can keep it around £150 or less that would be great.

Thanks Buckshot for the reply ;)

I'd probably go with this:
PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III PPCMK3S600 600W = $80 ($60 after rebate) This is a very good SeaSonic built (based off of the S12II) unit for an excellent price. The OCZ Buckshot420 listed is built by Great Wall which is not one of the best OEMs around, so build quality is kind of sloppy. The Corsair cliffordcooley recommended is OK but I probably wouldn't recommend it unless you're on a really tight budget. This Corsair is a CWT built unit and a lower end one at that, it also has a known issue with coil whine/hum, if you are lucky enough to get one without this issue it is ok but if not the noise might drive you nuts. Overall all of these are decent units but the PC Power & Cooling is probably the best of the three.

Here are the reviews for the three:
PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk III 600W
Corsair CX430 V2 (the 430w version of the one cliffordcooley listed)
OCZ ZT 750W (750w version of the one Buckshot420 posted)

Back