PSU blown - was I working it too hard?

gubar

Hi,

bang and bad smell and it was dead. The PSU was an Akasa AKP550 FH (http://www0.dealtime.co.uk/xPO-Akasa-550W-Akasa-AK-P550FH).

It powered a Tyan K8WE mboard, 2 x opteron 280, 4 g ram, 2 x sata HD and 1 sata controller, 1 9800 GTX+ 55NM. 1 razer wired mouse and 1 wacom Bamboo.

It's the second one to die in the same setup - first one went quitely though.

Do you reckon that lot is too much for the PSU?

Cheers

gubar

Strange; Akasa PSUs are usually excellent Enhance-built units that shouldn't go boom under any but the worst of circumstances.

However, you may have been pushing yours to the limit if both of your Optys are highly OCed and overvolted.

Hi,

I thought it was strage too - eXtreme Power Supply Calculator says it should be fine.

No overclocking or volt tinkering at all, all at stock. Even GPU. At the time of the pop only activity was ccleaner secure deleting some documents, not like I was rendering or gaming.

cheers

Steven

Unless you bought it used and it's over a year or two old (with heavy almost-24x7 usage like gaming or rendering), it's possible it was simply a unit that had some loose soldering or some such defect.

Won't know until I get the replacement psu. There is no obvious sings of damage/burning so I hope not.

cheers

gubar

Hi,

just got contact from akasa who are offering an alternate psu since they don't make the original anmore:

AK-PT060FG-BKUK.

http://www.akasa.com.tw/update.php?...lies&type_sub=Main Stream&model=AK-P060FG8-BK

This one has a motherboard connection specified as 20+4. I know my mboard needs a 24 pin main motherboard connection and the old psu had this - does the 20+4 mean that I can add these both in to make up the 24, or are the two seperate connections? PSU connections are something I've never really had to look into before since I've always had help building.

Thanks for any info,

cheers

gubar

In some cases you actually have to break the "+4" plug off the (20 pin) main connector, to even use it on the older 20 pin main board. Sometimes there is an interlock that keeps the two sections of the connector together.

More bad news.

Got the new psu. Comp worked fine for about an hour; then turned off.

Trying to turn it on now results in only the front led lighting up - and occasionally a quick flash of the monitor led - but no fans or posting at all.

The psu obviously has some life in it - but is it partially blown? Or has the motherboard finally failed? I am at my wits end! I have tried to start with only cpu, cpu fan and 1 stick but same result.

thanks

gubar

Check the mobo power connectors; I migrated to a new case recently and plugged in the 4-pin connector the wrong way, which resulted in the same symptoms you described.

Back