PSU minimum Wattage?

First of all I would like to thank you for all the help from previous threads.

Now, these are my specifications:
Processor: AMD FX-8320
Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0
Video Card: ATI RADEON HD 5770
RAM: Kingston HyperX 2 x 4 GB DDR3 1600 MHz
Hard Disk: Barracuda 7200.7 200GB SATA1
Optical drive: DVD-RW

I have a 400W MSI PSU.
Is it enough?
What are the risks of running my PC with this PSU?

You should be ok, but I personally wouldn't overclock anything. The minimum requirements for the ATI Radeon HD 5770 is: 450 Watt or greater power supply with one 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and two 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode).
An insufficient PSU (lower wattage rating than what is needed) can lead to the machine locking up, rebooting, PSU shutting down, and sometime short circuiting or hardware failures (but this is rare). I would suggest getting something at the 500W rating or higher if you can afford it, that way it leaves a little head room for other things (like overclocking or adding in other peripherals). Anyone else that wants to chime in and explain it better, feel free.

First of all I would like to thank you for all the help from previous threads.

Now, these are my specifications:
Processor: AMD FX-8320
Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0
Video Card: ATI RADEON HD 5770
RAM: Kingston HyperX 2 x 4 GB DDR3 1600 MHz
Hard Disk: Barracuda 7200.7 200GB SATA1
Optical drive: DVD-RW

I have a 400W MSI PSU.
Is it enough?
What are the risks of running my PC with this PSU?
Running a PSU to close to the max power usage can lead to the PSU failing faster and causing damage to components. Normally when running a machine that will probably be used for gaming or under load more than not, I would recommend at least 50-100watts above what the Graphics card manufacturer recommends. Doing so insures the PSU is not always stressing and will ensure a longer life for the machine.

In this regard, my advice is to grab an inexpensive, decent branded, 500watt bronze rated PSU. That will insure a long life spam for your computer and keep you open to upgrades in the near future.

Back