PSU question

Status
Not open for further replies.
The question would be answered more easily if you could provide more detailed information. What video card and PSU exactly? If you're not sure on the PSU, grab the specifications off it's sticker.

The 12V amperage matters more than the said rated unit wattage and I'm guessing that your PSU is probably bottom of the barrel, so, without any information I'd take a stab in the dark and say no, it will not work.

The simple answer is...no, obviously because the wattage required is lower than the powersupply wattage, but yes there is a good chance it will be fine anyway but we do need to know exact power supply specs an the card in question.

My psu is an Antec EarthWatts 430 watt. The gpu I want to run in conjuction with it is a SAPPHIRE 100265HDMI Radeon HD 4830 which is a 450 watt gpu.

My psu specs are as follows:

Type ATX12V v2.0
Maximum Power 430W
Fans 80mm low noise cooling fan
PFC Active
Main Connector 20+4Pin
+12V Rails 2
PCI-E Connectors 1 x 6Pin
SLI No
Modular No
Efficiency > 80%
Energy-Efficient 80 PLUS Certified
Input Voltage 100 - 240 V
Input Frequency Range 50/60 Hz
Input Current 7A
Output +3.3V@20A,+5V@20A,+12V1@17A,+12V2@17A,-12V@0.8A, +5VSB@2.5A
Approvals UL, CUL, FCC, TUV, CE, CB, C-tick, CCC

SAPPHIRE 100265HDMI Radeon HD 4830 which is a 430 watt gpu.
you mean 450w?

Yes the Antec earthwats 430 should power the 4830 fine, a 4850 even, unless you're completly overloading your system with a mass of fans harddrives, a lot of phericals, and maybe a sound card and some other stuff that won't be fitting in a normal case O.o.

unless you're completly overloading your system with a mass of fans harddrives, a lot of phericals, and maybe a sound card and some other stuff that won't be fitting in a normal case O.o.
Heh, what I ment to say is you should be fine..,
With a 4830 you would be fine, with a 4850, you might (still unlikly) to be able to use all the power if you shoved in a LOT of stuff to your computer.

Just to reenforce what HK said yes you should be fine the Antec EA430 is OEMed by seasonic and can actually output what it is rated unlike many cheap no name PSU's. GPU manufactures know many cheap PSU's don't come anyware near their rateings and provide wattage recomendations with a wide margion of safety because of this. (even a core2quad system with that GPU should only draw around 350w under 100% load; my main desktop[specs in profile] only draws about 450w under load and it's a core2quad with a 4870) Of corse I wouldn't recomend running a 4870 on that psu but a 4830 should be no problen at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back