Psystar brings Snow Leopard to PCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin

While Apple is working on official Mac support for Windows 7, Psystar is busy engineering the exact opposite. The Mac-clone manufacturing Psystar has announced the release of "Rebel EFI", which will facilitate installing the latest version of Mac OS X onto PC hardware. People who use the Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Quad, i7 and other Intel based systems will have the option open to them.

Psystar is charging for the privilege of running OS X on a PC, though they are introducing Rebel EFI at a discounted rate of $50. Many OS X fans are surely dedicated enough to pay a premium for it, and since Apple provides no avenue for this, Psystar is filling a niche. They'll also be supporting their endeavors, committing themselves to testing user-submitted hardware for compatibility.

Psystar's actions of course run afoul of Apple, who has continually tried to put Psystar out of business. Psystar is a tough company, having survived bankruptcy and numerous legal campaigns from Apple. Will their continued antagonizing of Apple be met with more lawsuits and legal threats, or will Cupertino eventually concede that users want what they want, regardless of how Apple feels?

Permalink to story.

Cool news! I wonder if we're far away from Mac Desktop Guests running on X86 hardware in VMWare legally? (Legally being the key word here.) I'd love to save a few million by not buying iBooks and iMacs and use thin clients with a VDI to bring me the desktop. But I know that Apple is primarily a hardware company, and they still hold reservations from doing so.

IMO Apple are not really a hardware company at all.

Just look at the components they use; They just license them for use within their products.

Anyway I think I might donate some cash to Psystar if that's possible as Apple are turning into an ***.
IMHO of course...

Psystar is screwing Apple and it's legion of cult members? Brilliant!!

I'd assume most people will pirate this, its equally illegal either way in the court lol.

As Apple starts to snub MS and PCs in general, they're not the underdog anymore and one day they will piss off someone to the point where Apples will be targetted by hackers.

This is one way to undermine Apple and I see no sympathy for Apple at all. They started throwing the barbs at PCer's and rightfully so they deserve a slap up the side of their heads for being a frickin' jerk.

Agree. The fact they are mooning Apple makes me want to buy a Psystar computer to simply show support for what they are doing, even though my Mac is collecting dust. I have no reason to use it any more, since my PC is infinitely better. I was using the Mac as the expendable computer for my grandkids to use when they come to visit, but they are not interested in it... they want to use the PC exclusive. Last week, my 15 year old grandson said, "Grandpa, why'd you buy a Mac? Macs suck." My response was, "Bobby, every time I look at it, I ask myself that same question."

I'm not a big MacOS fan (too much UI overhead), but it would be nice to give it a spin on PCs.

Last week, my 15 year old grandson said, "Grandpa, why'd you buy a Mac? Macs suck." My response was, "Bobby, every time I look at it, I ask myself that same question."

I laughed out loud at work when I read this - loud enough to draw attention and I actually own several Macs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back