Question about PCTools firewall plus

learninmypc

No regularity in it, but occasionally I've gotten a pop up notice from my firewall saying ftrdhcpuser.net wants to access the internet or words to that effect.
Not being too technically knowledgeable,I've denied it access as UNtrusted the 3 or 4 times its happened.
Well, tonight I was tinkering with my firewall & went into an unknown area & saw it mentioned in there & googled it & found out this http://whois.domaintools.com/ftrdhcpuser.net
Its my ISP. Since I've been denying it all this time, what would happen if I allowed it access? Obviously I'm online with it denied,I'm confused. TIA :)

I was a fan of PCTools and used Spyware Doctor for years. It's given me so many problems over the last year that I've ditched it and the firewall. It no longer gets rave reviews and they have a lot of work to do. As my subscription had about six months left to run that shows you how bad I consider it to be. I'd suggest good AV freeware like MSE and the Microsoft firewall.

I was a fan of PCTools and used Spyware Doctor for years. It's given me so many problems over the last year that I've ditched it and the firewall. It no longer gets rave reviews and they have a lot of work to do. As my subscription had about six months left to run that shows you how bad I consider it to be. I'd suggest good AV freeware like MSE and the Microsoft firewall.

Coincidentally I dumped Avast recently & went to MSE free. Does MSE have a firewall included with it I don't know about or are you talking about the firewall built in? I'm using XP Pro MCE.

The default Microsoft firewall included with Windows. MSE is anti virus protection. Unless your surfing habits include visiting very dodgy sites that's probably adequate protection. Windows will let you know if the firewall is not turned on.

The default Microsoft firewall included with Windows. MSE is anti virus protection. Unless your surfing habits include visiting very dodgy sites that's probably adequate protection. Windows will let you know if the firewall is not turned on.

I may of been mis-led, but I've been told the default firewall in XP is a one way only firewall.(Anything can/will call home)?
I use http://www.mywot.com/ to know which websites are good/bad, I had a thread in here some time ago (can't find it) because I was considering dumping the firewall.
At this point, I would just simply like to know if I should allow that ftrdhcpuser access since it is my ISP?

bazz2004, No offense intended,but I'd prefer multiple opinions on removing my current firewall or just allowing that ftrdhcpuser.
If I remember correctly, when that pop up occurs, there is also a box saying something like " some files didn't load & you should run an antispyware program" Of course I do that & of course they are clean.:)

I've seen my ISP make access attempts too, but upon deep investigation with them
have come to the conclusion that the IP address was forged; ergo the blocking action was appropriate.

It is RARE that any remote system will (validly) access your system without an existing connection.
We as users do this with every web request from our browsers to the webserver
(ie http request (opening) the WS on port 80).
Now put the shoe on the other foot: WHO/WHAT is opening my system (and on what port)?

I may of been mis-led, but I've been told the default firewall in XP is a one way only firewall.(Anything can/will call home)?
That is correct; the defaults (in XP & Vista) were allow all outbound and deny all inbound - - and that is the basic, minimal effort for a firewall.

Better firewalls can configure program(xxx) is allowed to use port nnn but no other programs are,
and this stops the Calling Home problem.
When your browser uses port(80), fine and good but what is program(Iuja_xx) doing opening port(80)? Don't care; DENY until you can prove you even own/need program(Iuja_xx).

My current FW has controlls to monitor/control program(A) launching program(B),
or something wants to replace program(Z). I'm going to miss it when I get to Win7 :(

I've seen my ISP make access attempts too, but upon deep investigation with them
have come to the conclusion that the IP address was forged; ergo the blocking action was appropriate.

It is RARE that any remote system will (validly) access your system without an existing connection.
We as users do this with every web request from our browsers to the webserver
(ie http request (opening) the WS on port 80).
Now put the shoe on the other foot: WHO/WHAT is opening my system (and on what port)?

That is correct; the defaults (in XP & Vista) were allow all outbound and deny all inbound - - and that is the basic, minimal effort for a firewall.

Better firewalls can configure program(xxx) is allowed to use port nnn but no other programs are,
and this stops the Calling Home problem.
When your browser uses port(80), fine and good but what is program(Iuja_xx) doing opening port(80)? Don't care; DENY until you can prove you even own/need program(Iuja_xx).

My current FW has controlls to monitor/control program(A) launching program(B),
or something wants to replace program(Z). I'm going to miss it when I get to Win7 :(

Would you suggest a better firewall for my XP Pro ?

This has certainly developed into an interesting thread. All I can add is that I'd look at reviews of alternate firewalls and pick just about anything over PCTools. jobeard's advice to deny the request is convincing if you stick with the existing firewall.

This has certainly developed into an interesting thread. All I can add is that I'd look at reviews of alternate firewalls and pick just about anything over PCTools. jobeard's advice to deny the request is convincing if you stick with the existing firewall.

ANYbody have any suggestions for a FREE firewall for my XP Pro MCE? TIA

As they come free and people have different requirements it's up to you to find what suits. A product impressing at one time is likely to be overtaken by others later. I used Comodo previously. It was easy to use, didn't give me any problems and did the job. Just google for best free firewalls and take it from there.

As they come free and people have different requirements it's up to you to find what suits. A product impressing at one time is likely to be overtaken by others later. I used Comodo previously. It was easy to use, didn't give me any problems and did the job. Just google for best free firewalls and take it from there.

Thanks,will do such.:)

Back