Question about "Windows XP, End of the support after June 30"

Status
Not open for further replies.

neowing

Hello ? Techspot.

I have a questions about "Windows XP, End of the support after June 30"
I am using Windows xp sp2 above (the most up to date).
It came with my Gateway PC. When I heard "End of the support of Windows XP" in the front page. I am worried that I have to buy "Vista" because I am not sure I have to buy it after June 30.

I want to share everyone's opinions.
Are you going to buy "Vista" after June 30 ?
If you are planing to buy it, when is the best buy seasion ? After 3 monthes ?

From
neowing.

Buy Vista?? i dont think so, but when have support XP ? from always we repair all the errors, then i dont see difference. well this is my personal opinion.

Again sorry my english.

saludos!!

My major worries is:

After June 30, I might not activate my windows xp if I formatted my windows xp.

neowing said:
My major worries is:

After June 30, I might not activate my windows xp if I formatted my windows xp.

i think you have activate, only than dont have any more support, no more updates etc.

Saludos!!

I think you may have read the article wrong. June 30th is the deadline for hardware vendors to sell machine with Windows XP preloaded. Microsoft will continue to support the OS (Windows XP), i believe until 2014. So in theory, after June 30, 2008, all new machines will have a version of Vista install. However there are reports that HP, Lenovo and Dell will continue to support XP by providing users a XP restore disk. Lenovo will provide Windows XP recovery disk for users to downgrade until Jan 1, 2009. Dell on the other hand will continue to pre-install Windows XP on certain laptops/desktops but will include a copy of Vista in case a user wants to upgrade. Dell will continue to support XP as long as Microsoft supports it.

Why i called

Sirius38 said:
i think you have activate, only than dont have any more support, no more updates etc.

Saludos!!
The purpose of my call was assuring me that the money i recently spent.
Will not lose some useage on June 30 2008.?
The answer was it will be fully useable and supported til 2014.
I'd think that includes reinstalling , as you might upgrade your computer
or get a new hard drive.
6 years is a long time,not to reinstall an OS.:cool:

I believe June 30th is the deadline for Windows XP to be available in retail (it's been pulled off the shelves in several places already). Now would be a good time to buy some spare licenses.

To Didou,

What do you mean of "buy some spare licenses" ?
I don't get it. You mean even if I have windows xp CD, I have to buy another licenses ? Would you explain to me ?

No, I mean after that date it will be hard to buy a Windows XP license, which is what you need in case you wish to install Windows XP on a new computer be it yours or for someone else. Past that point the only new Windows licenses available for purchases will be Windows Vista.

Buy a 3 Pack If You Can........!

If somebody could clarify this point; I was under the impression that support for the XP Home edition would expire in about 2 years, and support for XP Porfessional would continue for 7 years (!) or (?) as the case may be.

According to the SP3 overview, activation and WGA will still be in force, so I guess that somebody has to be at M$ to answer the activation line as it were.

To Didou,

So, you mean I am fine because I have windows xp CD with license ?

Just in case: I bought my computer in 2002. It was installed windows xp.
I am not sure if my windows xp cd is retail or OEM.
how do I know which version ?
If my windows xp cd license is OEM, Do I have to buy extra License ?

neowing said:
To Didou,

Are you talking about 2 different copies of Windows here.

If you're talking about the same copy that came with the computer, it's absolutely OEM.

After June 30th, hardware vendor will not pre-install WIndows XP on thier desktops/laptops. Support for Windows XP will last until 2014(thats what Microsoft says).

Yes...........Mostly

neowing said:
To Didou,

Yes, you're fine.

Here's the tricky part:

neowing said:

The CD that came with your machine is an OEM license. It's as good as any other XP license with one exception. An OEM computer license must forever remain in the computer it was sold with. So no, you don't have to buy another copy of XP.

If you were talking about a retail copy of Windows. The, "I walked into Best Buy and bought this copy of Windows for $200.00" kind, you could install it into any other computer you choose. You still wouldn't be able to have the OS active on more than one machine at once.

captaincranky said:
The CD that came with your machine is an OEM license. It's as good as any other XP license with one exception. An OEM computer license must forever remain in the computer it was sold with. So no, you don't have to buy another copy of XP.

If you were talking about a retail copy of Windows. The, "I walked into Best Buy and bought this copy of Windows for $200.00" kind, you could install it into any other computer you choose. You still wouldn't be able to have the OS active on more than one machine at once.

Hello ? Sorry for late replying.
I don't understand one thing: What if I am going to change graphic card or motherboard ? Is it against OEM License ?

I spoke to Microsoft

I already answered all you need to know.
2014 for legitiment cd's.
Possibly not installed with no cd included though.
I paid $ 250.00 for mine till 2014.:D
So you call about yours if you have an OEM.:suspiciou

To zipperman,

I am sorry if I make you really angry.
Next time, I will read carefully.

And Thank you for all who reply my threat.

From
neowing.

neowing said:
Hello ? Sorry for late replying.
I don't understand one thing: What if I am going to change graphic card or motherboard ? Is it against OEM License ?

Should you change the motherboard, Microsoft would probably consider that to be a new computer, and your copy of Windows would no longer be valid> (not valid = DEAD..!)

However, there would be no problem with a graphics card upgrade. Just install the card (and it's driver), and away you go.

XP tracks hardware changes and assigns point values to them. If you don't change too much hardware in too short a time period, everything goes very smoothly. If you do make too many changes Windows demands to be reactivated, usually within 72 hours, or it will stop functioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back