Question re Standby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michelle2

Hello to all

Has anyone any ideas why on XPPRO the standby option disappeared along with hibernate, but on installing the latest graphic card drivers - the options reappeared?

Thank you

check power settings

Michelle2 said:
Hello to all

Has anyone any ideas why on XPPRO the standby option disappeared along with hibernate, but on installing the latest graphic card drivers - the options reappeared?

Thank you

In settings/control panel/power options there are ways and means of setting hibernation and standby. In any PC these may be over-ridden by lack of hardware capabilities (that is, your PC must have appropriate capability in the motherboard, hard drives, monitor....and video driver.

I'm only guessing here, but I suppose something was not right to cause the standby option to disappear, and now is available again due to new video driver software.

Probably Windows checks every boot-time that the hardware is responding as it should, which is one of the reasons Windows takes such a long time to start. If your hardware becomes faulty, or loose in a socket, then these checks would fail, so the standby settings change automatically.

gbhall said:
In settings/control panel/power options there are ways and means of setting hibernation and standby. In any PC these may be over-ridden by lack of hardware capabilities (that is, your PC must have appropriate capability in the motherboard, hard drives, monitor....and video driver.

I'm only guessing here, but I suppose something was not right to cause the standby option to disappear, and now is available again due to new video driver software.

Probably Windows checks every boot-time that the hardware is responding as it should, which is one of the reasons Windows takes such a long time to start. If your hardware becomes faulty, or loose in a socket, then these checks would fail, so the standby settings change automatically.

That makes sense! I just couldnt get my head around why.

Thank you for the info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back