Questions about atx case & psu

Status
Not open for further replies.

statixpulze

OKies... i dunnoe if this is the rite place to ask abt atx casing... but here goes my question on 'em

1. Is I-cute casing dat come with i-cute PSU reliable?
2. and how much hardware can a 480W take?

I jz need some comments before i buy them... so wat do u all think?

I'm using an i-cute PSU, but I know they're not 100% reliable. I've got 2 out of 3 failing on me. Meh, I just like their casings.

As I said, I am currently using a 3 yo i-cute PSU. Unfortunately its been modded, with a bigger (read higher CFM) fan replacing the old one.

That should answer your first question. For your second:

On this PSU, I'm running:
P4 2.8
DVDRW
DVD ROM
120gb HDD
200gb HDD
x800xt
Audigy Platinum (with the front panel)
Tt Ufo (92mm CPU fan)
120mm fan (36cfm)
120mm fan (67cfm)
2 x 80mm fans (unknown cfm)
a whole host of LEDs that came with all fans cept the small 120mm (includes the UFO)
2 x neon lights on case.
1 x LCD on case (temp readout)

Its a 3 yo PSU, I don't think its 480W, think its only 450W. So your PSU should be able to handle plenty.

However, keep in mind I have changed the fan, it might have affected things, but its not a huge increase (50% more cfm?). This voids any warranty, and I must say is pretty dangerous, so don't do it if you have no idea what you're doing.

Oh yeah, I took it that you're asking about the PSU, and not the casing, casings are almost definately reliable.

I know I can do that, but budgets are things you should stick to.

Besides its working fine for me. Will be changing to Antec TP2 450W or 500W soon, since I need another PSU for another comp.

I absolutely agree that you should stick to your budget. Very important. But if I can offer some friendly advice, it would simply be this: the PSU is not the area to cut corners. If you go through this forum, you'll see hundreds of threads with very hard to diagnose system failures, usually caused by cheap PSUs.

Moot point by the sounds of it, as you are bumping up to the Antec. Should have no worries at all once you pop that in. Cheers!

I'd like to point out that I'm not the one looking for info on the PSU. :)

Its true that cheap PSU's can't hold their power, Its usually due to overheating. And the nice bugger-than-usual CFM fan I added has helped it, although I don't think it will if I keep adding crap :)

Also, I just came across a faulty PSU problem, but I mistakenly diagnosed it as a faulty GC problem (stupid mobo beeped faulty GC problem beep). What is the trademark of a faulty PSU problem? I would've thought that a faoulty PSU won't let you start at all :blush: .

That is the comp I'm now going to put this cheapo i-cute PSU into :D. Not a high end comp... runs RDRAM tho. That any good? :rolleyes:

CMH said:
Its true that cheap PSU's can't hold their power, Its usually due to overheating. And the nice bugger-than-usual CFM fan I added has helped it, although I don't think it will if I keep adding crap :)

Sometimes it is overheating, but usually the problem with cheap PSUs is one of two things. Either it is underpowering the system, or worse yet, it is sending out inconsistent power including damaging spikes.

Also, I just came across a faulty PSU problem, but I mistakenly diagnosed it as a faulty GC problem (stupid mobo beeped faulty GC problem beep). What is the trademark of a faulty PSU problem? I would've thought that a faoulty PSU won't let you start at all :blush: .

That is the problem. There is no "trademark" of a faulty PSU, and as you saw, what happens quite often is the faulty PSU causes other parts to go wacky like your graphics card did. The beep wasn't lying, there WAS a problem with you card. It was being underpowered, or receiving "dirty" power.

That is the comp I'm now going to put this cheapo i-cute PSU into :D. Not a high end comp... runs RDRAM tho. That any good? :rolleyes:

Like you said before, everyone is on a budget. A cheap PSU causes grown men to cry. RDRAM? a guys gotta do what a guys gotta do ;) If that's what your mobo wants, then that's what you gotta feed it.

I kinda know RDRAM runs at a respectable speed, but it is old technology....

Dirty power? first time I heard of it. Now I've got second thoughts powering my x800xt with this icute psu....

I know nothing about icute PSUs. They may be fine.

One good hint is to check the number of amps it is putting out on the 12v rail(s). Check the sticker on the PSU itself to find this out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back