Questions on Hackers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I Avoid Hackers?

I just installed a new wireless router and I have a few questions about hacker security. From what I have been reading online, it is very easy to hack into a router and take over somebody's computer, picking up credit card info and such. What are the capabilites of a typical hacker and how easy/hard is it to get passed a firewalled system or password secured router? Is simply passwording the router enough to keep away hackers, or are there other countermeasures which must be taken as well? Also, just curious, to what extent can a hacker control your system and would it be possible to identify and hack into a comp that picked up your wirelesss signal, although I don't plan on doing that.

There are advanced security settings that are fairly difficult for the average hacker to get past... Try at least WPA security, and you will generally be as safe as can be.. then change the WPA settings if you live where hackers rest.

the password on the router is a must-have but it will not save you. your encryption is your MAIN line of defense in which case you should use WPA or WPA2. but even wpa can be cracked eventually. any encryption is better than nothing. once a wireless system is compromised most hackers are satisfied and can read MOST data that you transfer over your wireless internet without even bothering or controlling the computer or you having a clue.

I have also been reading about MAC filters and IP filters and I'm wondering what those are all about and if they're worth the trouble of setting up.

MAC filters, would be the best option

They are the unique identification number to your network card (none are the same, ever) Whereas IPs can be modified by others, quite easily

Apply a MAC filter and do not use DHCP. Instead, manually set the IP on each computer on your network and use a WPA2 key. For maximum protection, change your key every week and use alphanumeric and special characters.

Apply a MAC filter and do not use DHCP. Instead, manually set the IP on each computer on your network and use a WPA2 key. For maximum protection, change your key every week and use alphanumeric and special characters.
depends upon the specific router
On my netgear, the MAC filter is used to set the ip address when the client performs the DHCP.

Using the MAC Table then documents the assignments so you never create a conflict.

For my 'guests', I let DHCP set those addresses above a specific number and
that allows me to setup special guest rules in the firewall :)

Really? My router allows me to apply a MAC filter, whether or not DHCP is enabled.

I guess it must differ from router to router, as you said.

we agree; I just said the MAC table ALSO allows one to define the IP address when the DHCP request arrives :)

I have also been reading about MAC filters and IP filters and I'm wondering what those are all about and if they're worth the trouble of setting up.

these will only stop people from connecting to your router and using your internet connection. they dont stop packet capture and analysis if you were worried credit card info and stuff. though they are better than nothing and are REALLY easy to setup, both can EASILY be circumvented.

depends upon the specific router
On my netgear, the MAC filter is used to set the ip address when the client performs the DHCP.

Using the MAC Table then documents the assignments so you never create a conflict.

Point of clarification please

1. There are MAC addresses (as kimsland said, they're unique identification numbers)

2. And different router config options may require you enter MAC addresses, including
- MAC filtering (enter the MAC address of each adapter allowed to connect to the router)
- Static IP assignment (enter the MAC address along with your choice of IP address)

but (as far as i've ever seen) these two options are configured / maintained independent of each other. Is one of netgear's routers now combining these things??

short answer: YES :)

Typically Mac filtering creates either a Blacklist (nic's to be blocked) or a Whitelist(systems to be allowed).

My Netgear RP614 combines the Whitelist with IP address reservations to
predict (ie set) the ip address of a specific system when the DHCP request is
seen. Anything other than those so listed take the classic dhcp assignment path.

If you notice in the attachment, by filling in the slots with dummy addresses,
the first unknown MAC to access my router config will be assigned an address
of 192.168.0.11 as 1-10 are reserved.

I am extremely please with this router as 'Brandon' has a linksys attached at 0.10
and several devices to it and he is a heavy gamer. The Netgear tolerates his
usage very well :)

short answer: YES :)

Typically Mac filtering creates either a Blacklist (nic's to be blocked) or a Whitelist(systems to be allowed).

My Netgear RP614 combines the Whitelist with IP address reservations to
predict (ie set) the ip address of a specific system when the DHCP request is
seen. Anything other than those so listed take the classic dhcp assignment path.

If you notice in the attachment, by filling in the slots with dummy addresses,
the first unknown MAC to access my router config will be assigned an address
of 192.168.0.11 as 1-10 are reserved.

I am extremely please with this router as 'Brandon' has a linksys attached at 0.10
and several devices to it and he is a heavy gamer. The Netgear tolerates his
usage very well :)

Ahhh..I think i understand point of confusion......

What you refer to is "Address Reservation" not really MAC filtering

MAC filtering is the process of building whitelists or blacklists to restrict router access (for Wireless routers is often called Wireless Access Card setup" see attachment)

What you refer to is reserving specific IP addresses for MAC address (address reservation) but is not a white- or blacklist (MAC filtering)

If you need the final authoritative answer, well and good.

The Netgear router combines BOTH operations of Filtering and Predictive address assignment. It does not however, forbid access for Mac addresses NOT in the list.

I would consider any formula like
Code:
if (condition) then take action
to be 'filtering' :)

Clearly we differ here -- peace dear friend :)

Was just noting the term MAC filtering is already defined so a reference to MAC filtering implies a certain meaning. MAC filtering within the context of Address Reservation can cause conufsion (such as Rage_3K_Moiz's comment "Really?My router allows me to apply a MAC filter, whether or not DHCP is enabled")

Was simply posting my understanding of the term "MAC filtering"

But regardless of any differences (or alliances!)... always peace! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back