[R9 290] [GTX970] Graphics Card options for the GPU Apocalypse

Fabio Kelm

Hello Everyone! In mid of this PC building apocalypse, I had found some interesting prices in my country (Brazil) of the R9 290 (and x) and GTX 970. Do you think it is a good option to upgrade to these?(especially the R9 290, found really good deals on this card!) I am especially looking for a good card to drive a 1080p ultrawide monitor. My build is more for gaming, although I will usually do some productivity workload such as Excel, word and some ppt presentations.

Sorry for any newbie error, and thanks for the attention.

My Rig:
Pentium G4560
Asus B150 c/BR mATX mobo
XFX RX 560D 2GB
8gb DDR4 2133MHz
EVGA 600BQ 600W (80Plus Bronze) PSU

IMO...the RX 290X is just about the same as the GTX 970...the GTX 970 has the edge on the RX. I'm partial to Nvidia GPU's so I would go with the 970.

If these two are your only options, then I would get the gtx 970. im not much of a intel or nvidia fan, but with these two items, I would pair the pentium dual core with the gtx 970. it uses a lot less juice than the r9 290x

Just for Update, I ended up following you guys advice and bought a GTX 970 (windforce model, from Gigabyte) and really, no complaints here! The card runs all my games at 1080p high/ultra smooth 60fps (with V-sync), although probably most are not that demanding (AC unity is the most). It does have some occasional stutters but I think they are probably coming from the Pentium.
Thanks elites2012 and plankton23 for the replies, and definitely recommend this card.

Back