Radeon 2400 problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Longer version of problem

My system work fine but I had always gotten a ATI control panel error when I started the computer, After increasing numerous "auto detect, entering power save" monitor going blank experences, I deciided to change out my graphics card. The one I purchased was a radeon hd 2400 pro AGP. I thought that was what I had in already and asked the guy at best buy if I needed to install the cd, He said that if it was the same,"no". I shut it down, installed the cardbooted up and the new hardware wizard detected a new PCI device. After further checkingI realized that my old graphics card was a radeon HD 2600 pro card. I went to the "add/remove" and removed the ATI uninstall utility. On reboot nothing of ATI's was there. When I ran the installation cd, it showed "no driver for this device" or the other way around, but would not install. When I tried custom install, all the components were availible to install except the 2400 driver. I couldn't check or uncheck it. When I check the device manager there is a PCI device under "other devices" with a eexclaimation mark next to it When I remove it it comes back at reboot. With ATI removed a unknown VGA device is also listed in "other devices" Help

I'm running xp sp2 on a pentium 4, 3.2 Ghz with 2 gb ram

Try updating to SP3 if you can get any video working. Do you keep up with all the Microsoft Updates? You do need MS's .Net Framework installed to properly install AMD/ATI's Catalyst software. Don't use the ATI CD, go to AMD/ATI's wesite and get the latest driver for your video card from there

I did all the updates when I upgraded to sp2 a few months agq to get a ipod to work. Why does my computer recognize a AGP card as a PCI device? The device manager shows The AGP location as PCI bus o. It shows the "unknown PCI device" on PCI bus 1. Is it recognizing it as a PCI device because it has to recognize that something is new and the AGP is already occupied? I set a restore point before I unstalled the ATI removal utility and have come back to that point. That point being the ATI 2600 agp software and the 2400 hardware. How can I completely uninstall the ATI software and start from scratch?

Thank you again for your help. Where do I find out the motherboard model? I didn't get the pci thing when i had the 2600 installed. I started getting it after I changed hardware.

Open the case and look at the motherboard. The name and number should be printed near the PCI sockets or near the memory slots. The "unknown" PCI device could be your on-board video

No, it should be more like "Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3L" or "ASUS A7V8NX-X" Did you build this computer or buy it? The model may be on a sticker on the Printer port or on a PCI connector

I found ASUS P4SD, but no -VL... I believe this board has a SIS chipset. Download and install the SIS video driver for XP and take out any APG card. Get the on-board video to work properly once again

I don't have a port to plug in the monitor if I remove the agp card. This sony viao xp mce has 1 agp and 3 pci slots. The pci's are a usb,2-5 port card, a sound/game controller card and a card that is used to imput vcr or s-video or tv antenna. When I unstalled the ati software and rebooted, the resolution was like 480 by 620 (numbers might be wrong but you know what I mean)and in the device manager, the monitor was gone and under "other devices" (with a exclaimation point) was unknown vga device..

The Radeon 2600 drivers should have worked for the 2400. You should install all the optional MS updates. This is where the .Net Framework software is located

That doesn't really seem to be an option for me. I only have 3 PCI slots. One is for a USB 2.0 card that my wireless and printer are plugged into, one is my sound card, and the last one has RCA jacks that allows me to imput vcr tapes that I edit and convert to DVD's. Thank you for the time you've spent trying to help me..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back