Radeon HD 5670 Crossfire performance

coltie

Hi, I need a little advice..
I'm doing a graphics upgrade on a budget and I'm toying with the idea of a pair of XFX HD5670 1G DDR5 128 bit in crossfire. My cost for these cards puts me in the same price range as a single GTS460 or an HD6850. I'm wondering how the xfire setup would compare performance wise to either of these GPUs on their own. Res is 1920x1080.

Note: I'm set up well for any of the above with a 790FX board 2 @ X 16 lanes and a Cougar CMX700 psu..

Thanks

I personally wouldn't recommend it compared to either of those alternatives. From benchmarks [1][2] I've seen the 5670 in crossfire seems to perform around the 5770's range on average at 1920x1080 which at the time for price / performance was decent. However now, it doesn't seem like the best investment especially at 1920x1080. I think you'd be better served with a one mid-range card than two lower end ones and even with that you will likely need to turn down some detail depending on the game.

You know you have an SLI board. If you were considering two video cards you might want to consider two nvidia cards because you'll only be able to combine them together on your motherboard. Crossfire will not work on your system.

I would choose the GTS460 over two less expensive cards, because in the future you might want to use SLI and a second GTS460 will allow you to do that with the least expense. When I actually looked for a GTS 460 I could not find one. I'm thinking you meant a GTS 450?

I'd buy the GTX 460 if you can afford it. This one includes a nice rebate bringing the price down to $149.99. :)

Damn! It is a crossfire board please ignore me :p

Relic- thanks for the helpful reviews, interesting and informative although a little disappointing as I was expecting better performance. I agree with you that I'm much better off pursuing a newer, more powerful single gpu option.

Cinders- yea, it's an MSI 790FX-GD70 which is actually capable of running 4 ATI cards at once. It was a pretty hot board in it's day. P.S. GTS was a typo, I was referring to the GTX460.

Thanks to you both for the replies.

No problem coltie, good luck with either one of those cards, or maybe even check out the 6870 :) .

Back