Rage 3k, need help with build

Status
Not open for further replies.

mako man

Hey buddy I need a little help. The computer you designed for me 14 months ago finally encountered a problem. The video card went. I would like to know if you could recommend another good video card for playing COD 5 WAW, and the new COD 6 coming out later in the fall.

If you dont recall the system here is the contents. I need advice on a great video card that is compatible with my system.

Intel 3.0gb E8400 processer
Asus P5E X38 board
Seagate 500gb barracuda Hard drive
Antec 1000 watt power supply
Vista home premium 64 bit
Antec 900 Tower

******EVGA 9800 GX2 1.0 gb DDR3 PCI-E video card.*****

Thanks again for all assistance

Mako man

A 4890, or a gtx 275 would do pretty good for those games. It would depend on your budget and what resolution you're capable of.

Glad to know the build worked without issues for this long.

The HD 4890 and GTX 275 trade blows. But if cash was no objection, I'd recommend the GTX 275, since it is slightly faster on average compared to the Radeon.

And BTW, you may want to try putting your card in the oven, as per here. You have nothing to lose IMO.

Rage

Thanks for taking the time to get back to me I appreciate your expertise.

I have some good news EVGA has decided to replace my video card with a new one that is equal to or better than my 9800 GX2. That is what I call good service. I don't know which card they will send, but at least they are making good. What really stinks is that the 9800 GX2 cost me 600.00 back then and the new cards cost less. I'm very happy they are doing the right thing, but it still stinks that an expensive card like mine went in 14 months. They stated that they don't have any more 9800 GX2's in stock. I hope that for the difference in dollars they send a GTX 295. Now that would be great customer service.

Well either way if they do send me a good replacement at no cost as promised I would be an EVGA customer for life.

Thanks again.

Rage

My system also has 4 gigs of ram. 4x1. Do you see anything I can add or change at this point to make it an even faster gaming computer? I still don't know which graphics card they are going to send I will keep you posted.

Thanks

You could go for a QX9x50 series CPU and a VelociRaptor or an SSD, if you can afford them. Beyond that, I don't see any other viable upgrades.

Rage

Would there be a big difference in speed with the QX9650, and the velociRapter as opposed to what I have now?

Also what about upgrading to I-7 in the future with this computer? Would this be a better move or not feasible?

Thanks again

IMO, wait for the P55 motherboards to release and mature. Only then do I advise moving to i7. That said, you will not notice any significant increase in gaming performance with an i7 machine, since games hardly stress other quads, let alone the i7 behemoths.

As for your query, you will see a decrease in loading times due to the faster disks. The CPU will have a negligible effect on performance in the majority of cases IMO. I just recommended it so that when there are games and apps that do utilize all four cores, you have a CPU that is upto the task.

If thats the case I have time on my side and hopefully prices will decrease.

If I understand what you are saying it may be a worthwhile investment to install the velocirapter? If I do this will there be a benefit if I don't change my exhisting cpu. If the velocirapter doesn't make the system much faster I would just wait.
Thank you

As I stated before, only (game and OS) loading times will be affected by the VelociRaptor. FPS will not be affected much. So consider that. Also, the new CPU will be beneficial if you play games that make use of extra CPU cores, such as GTA IV, Crysis and Ghostbusters.

Well EVGA came through and sent me a replacement video card which I appreciate. The only bummer is they sent back a used 9800 GX2 which is a 100 times more scratched up then the one I sent them. I hope it works well. According to the Tech he said that my card is guaranteed for life so if I encounter a problem just let them know. When I questioned the used video card they sent they advised that it was probably a card that someone upgraded from or was sent back to them as a possible defect.

Thanks again for all who responded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back