Raid 1 and Dual core

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kebtiz

I was reading a few articles about Raid 1 and the term multi-threading kept coming up, and I couldn't get a completely solid answer as to performance, not exacts just generals.

Ok, as I understood it, a 2 drive Raid 1 while running a single core processor is very similar performance level to running a single hard drive with data security, but while under dual core it has a higher level of performance due to the processor multi-threading in between the 2 drives resulting in faster read times.

Am I close? I tried but I was a little over my head on the matter.

If there is an increase in performance my goal is this setup:
2x Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache paired with
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 2 x 1MB L2 Cache 125W Dual-Core Processor

raid-1 with single core processor is anywhere near a dual core system without raid-1.

Raid-1 improves I/O performance by overlapping (or performing) multiple arm seeks
at the same time.
This is trivial compared to the constant improvement provided by a dual core processor.

Sorry, you lost me a little, so basically you are saying that performance wise there is little improvement with Raid 1 if you have dual core?

Or that the performance increase is similar to that of switching to dual core over single core,
ie - a Single core without raid1 < Single core with raid 1 = Dual core without raid 1 < Dual Core with raid 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back